Element A or B

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Element A or B

Postby 1 2many » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 pm

We have 2 elements both 2400 watts , which one will perform the best.

1 which one has the most surface area ? A= B=

2 Which one heats the best ?

3 Which one respond to temp change the best ?

element (Copy) copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Re: Element A or B

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:39 pm

I think I'll phone a friend Eddy :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 pm

MacStill wrote:I think I'll phone a friend Eddy :D

:)) :)) . I recon B would be the best it doesn't have the density of Element A so I would think that it would heat more quickly and respond to temp change better , as for surface area 8-} I will let someone else figure that out.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby emptyglass » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 pm

They are both 2400 watt, that energy has to go somewhere and the wash is the only place.

Depends on how you want to install them.

Failing that, can we go 50/50 Eddie?
emptyglass

Postby karrotbear » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 pm

I would wager that the standard element would have a greater surface area than the weld-less one (based on the picture and the assumption that the weldless element is a 'solid' cylinder with a cap on the end)

I would also wager that maybe the standard element might heat up faster because of the dual loopies. But I dont understand how elements actually work, so this is just a bit of a guess based on some basic physical principles. It has a greater surface area to transmit the heat, which means as you change the power input, the element will achieve the new heat output faster, based on the larger surface area than that of the weldless element. So pretty much, in my noob opinion, the element with the greatest surface area will be most responsive to temperature change. But this may be significantly influenced by other factors aswell :)
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby punchy21 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 pm

1 2many wrote:We have 2 elements both 2400 watts , which one will perform the best.

1 which one has the most surface area ? B

2 Which one heats the best ? probably B but wouldn't think it would be much in it...

3 Which one respond to temp change the best ?same as 2

element (Copy) copy.jpg
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Distillnation » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 pm

I think empty glass is halfway there. The energy goes into the wash so the same amount is being transferred but element B, having more surface area, is touching more of the wash at any one time compared to A. How much of a difference that makes is something a side-by-side comparison would be able to show. It may heat up quicker, but the difference would be minuscule (talking minutes here - so basically the time it takes to head inside to grab a drink, use the toilet, etc).

This is going off what I've read before, but not sure if it was confirmed or not. In the end its more about the user and whether they are able to make use of an element that requires welding work or something that requires a hole to be drilled.

I'd be interested to see the results though if someone tests it out.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 am

2400 v 2400 think they both got about the same surface area so i recon go with B because that looks like the type I got
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby tipsy » Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm a gas burner so please disregard this drunken post.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Brendan » Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

DrunkASAskunk wrote:2400 v 2400 think they both got about the same surface area so i recon go with B because that looks like the type I got

Definitely not the same surface area :wtf:

I would be guessing that element B has at least 3 times the surface area of A. I think it's all been on the money so far, in that element B would 'touch more of the wash' because of this increased surface area...the only place I can see this being of any benefit is in a very sugary wort where the density in terms of Watts per square inch will reduce the likely hood of burning or scorching with the greater surface area.

Otherwise, if it's a standard thin wash...as EG said, it's the same power going into the wash. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby 1 2many » Sun May 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Brendan wrote:
DrunkASAskunk wrote:2400 v 2400 think they both got about the same surface area so i recon go with B because that looks like the type I got

Definitely not the same surface area :wtf:

I would be guessing that element B has at least 3 times the surface area of A. I think it's all been on the money so far, in that element B would 'touch more of the wash' because of this increased surface area...the only place I can see this being of any benefit is in a very sugary wort where the density in terms of Watts per square inch will reduce the likely hood of burning or scorching with the greater surface area.

Otherwise, if it's a standard thin wash...as EG said, it's the same power going into the wash. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:

I if you measured the radius of each bar on element B added together would definatly be greater than the A type, But then the power input is the same ..
Thanks guys :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What I do know is the A type weldless elements are an easy 15 min to fit . Awsome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Return to Hardware Research & Development