Automatic Sectioning of the wash in a Reflux Still

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Automatic Sectioning of the wash in a Reflux Still

Postby blond.chap » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Its great to think of new idea, Googe has plenty, but you're best off building and operating an established design first, then playing around with the next version.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 pm

DrunkASAskunk wrote:
Konrad wrote:
DrunkASAskunk wrote:I think when it comes to bringing tech in to the hobby the sky is the limit. But why I am new to the the hobby but I would not want to change any thing I love the idear of trying to make my booze as close to the ways they have been for the last 200 years. But then this is a hill billy / bogan / red neck hobby and thats the way I was brought up. I also have few other red neck hobbys that I love to do on week ends :))

True ... But if that was the case we would all go for a pot still and hide in the bush, use spring water, naturally ferment barley etc ... like the Moonshiners, but I am under the impression that we are trying to get the best tasting, and alcohol rich quantity product that we can :D

hey I got a pot still and I hide it in the bushes and stuff :D

ROFL .. Nice I wish I had one!
Tim

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler

Postby googe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm starting to get a complex with my name being brought up in unethical procedures, surely I'm not that far out :shock: I've improved havnt I :think: :wtf: hmm edit, wait till you see my sight glass :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:33 pm

MacStill wrote:not more than 3 or 4 metres from my still this arvo I dealt with some customers, built myself a new controller, had a chat to a mate on the fone, a couple of beers, played tug o war with Zak and generally had a great arvo....

if I sat in the house on my fat arse watching TV waiting for an alarm to signal the run was over, well I would've missed out on having a great arvo.... fuck that!

This is my still day. Wife said "you going to the gym today?"

You kidding? Will be up and down and on my toes, set up, pack down, moving bottles & jars...no need!

Got my tunes on, (or today it was Boston news on ABC) got a beer going, posting on the forum, checking the taste of the distillate... Fuck I'd rather do this than work! Why would I automate this?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Bushy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:44 pm

DrunkASAskunk wrote:hey I got a pot still and I hide it in the bushes and stuff :D

I just hide in Bushes. Ya don't think they call me Bushy cos I like to camp out and light fires.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Kimbo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:44 am

If you build a VM and run it corectly you would only need to change 1 jar.
Once you bleed off the fores and heads you are in the hearts till the end coz a VM will stop producing when it reaches tails.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby smegory » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:35 pm

I've been looking at doing something similar too I agree with Mac though with spending the arvo with the still/dog/music = great way to spend your free time, that said why wouldn't it work if we could control the temp/ vapour within 1 degree and take off the fores and heads in individual chemicals or temp groups, before the ethanol, instead of all together in what we traditionally call the fores and heads now ( not sure that makes sense but it did to me :-B ) if we could wouldn't that give us a greater amount of hearts?? It's almost like instead of head compression and then seperation in your coloum you just eliminate them from the wash before the ethanol starts to vaporize ?????
Once again Im not sure if it could work that way but if it does the end product would be worth the effort??
It is a different way of thinking which sometimes FAILS :think: but then if we don't ask or try these things wouldn't we all be still using a pot still instead of a lucky few of us using five star ss bubblers :music-deathmetal:
Yes im still new to this as well and i have a long way to go before ill have half the experience of most of you but thats just my 2 cents worth :-@
smegory

equipment: valved reflux still and an original macstill 4 plate ss bubbler

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Smegory, it's nice to see an open mind, the whole point of the idea was less wastage and more hearts, but lets face it, we all did not invent the idea of distilling, we are just using somebody else's, I thought this topic was to throw ideas out there to broaden our knowledge, but I could be mistaken.
Tim

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Konrad wrote: I thought this topic was to throw ideas out there to broaden our knowledge, but I could be mistaken.

Your not mistaken, that is exactly what a discussion forum is all about.
sometimes we don't get the answer or reaction we were hoping for, but it's still good to throw ideas out there.
Some of our members are renown for out of the square thinking and have copped a little flack for it from time to time.
There is also the reason that a lot of these ideas have been thought of before and are not in use for a very good reason- They don't work. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Very nicely put Kimbo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development