How is everyone using their coffee filters?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Postby DaveZ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:19 pm

I have been using just a normal funnel with a coffee filter placed inside. It seems though, that using it this way there is only a tiny amount of the coffee filter actually doing the filtering, the rest is pushed up against the plastic of the funnel. Is there anything available that is funnel shaped but maybe made of a mesh or perforated SS? Or am I better off just taking a drill to a stainless funnel?

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Re: How is everyone using their coffee filters?

Postby 5 o'clock » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:23 pm

I use a stainless funnel as you described Dave.

Some of my filter papers are too small for the funnel so a wall of paper is free to allow liquid through.

For papers which are larger, I sometimes put something between the funnel and paper to create an air gap and allow faster flow.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of drilling holes in a funnel.

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby coollinz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:46 pm

I've always used paper towel. Does the job nicely and nothing spills over the sides.
coollinz

equipment: Mac 4 SSG with packed section and gin basket
50L keg boiler and 2 x 2400w MacElements
T500 plus Fuselex Stainless Filter (now just boils water)

Postby Dominator » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Excuses my dumb question, but what are you using your coffee filters for?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby 5 o'clock » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:06 pm

Are there really any dumb questions? How else are we to understand what others mean.

I use filter paper for getting saw dust out of oaked products or clearing everything after a maceration.
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby Dominator » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Cool. I was thinking might be for cleaning after oaking on chips/dust.thats why u went for cubes. Heaps easier to remove.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:20 am

I put them into a jar,leave a few centre meters out,hold on and poor away.also you can use those lids that are 2 piece.without the centre,screw on and poor. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 am

Yeah Dom, just to filter out oak bits or anything else floating in the drink. I filter pretty much everything as it goes into the bottles, just ensures there's no floaties, the girls don't like floaties in their drinks ;-)

I might have to look into some bigger funnels maybe or get to making something that can make more efficient use of the filter. The main issue is speed of filtering, when it's all trying to filter through a tiny part of the filter it blocks quickly and slows everything down.

How are coffee filters held in a coffee machine?? Might have to do some googling this morning.

Thanks for the replies guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby bt1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 am

Howdy,

throw two or three tea spoons in to funnel so handles point up then the coffee filter...creates space from filter wall to allow better filtering speed. it aint perfect but it's better than the filter stuck to funnel wall and bugga all flow.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 am

So simple bt, I love it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
DaveZ

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 am

put a small sieve into the funnel first. then put filter or paper towel in the sieve :handgestures-thumbupleft:
helps break the airlock too.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Hey dude .I bought a funnel from my local kitchen ware shop it is made of perforated stainless.had the same prob you had now no worries,I have been back for a few large jars for soaking etc have a snoop you maybe surprized what ya find.cheers
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby SBB » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:21 pm

kiwikeg wrote:put a small sieve into the funnel first. then put filter or paper towel in the sieve

Or get a big wire sieve, preferably coffee filter size and shape, sit it in a bigger funnel, problem solved.
Works for me anyway.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 pm

That's what I was thinking would work well SBB, but being in the middle of bumfuck nowhere I'm having trouble trying to find such a beast. I'll have a look next time I'm in a real town :D
DaveZ

Postby the Doctor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Guys while not as cheap as coffee filters. I do a lot of filtering so have invested in these
http://www.hostdirect.com.au/showProduc ... rome+Frame
The frames and filters are absolutely excellent quality. I use them for filtering our flavoured vodkas and think they are a big step up from the old Harris coffee filters I used to use. The frame means that they can filter all around, not just through the bottom. If you are doing a lot of filtering they are worth the money. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:33 pm

That looks like exactly what I have in my head mate, and for $40 with 50 filter papers I reckon that's on the shopping list for sure. Cheers for the link man :handgestures-thumbupleft:
DaveZ

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 pm

+1 doc.

I use fry oil filters, they dont cost much, are huge and filter fast. That big blue frozen foods joint on Gt Eastern Hwy, Midland sells them for anyone interested
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:52 am

the Doctor wrote:Guys while not as cheap as coffee filters. I do a lot of filtering so have invested in these
The frames and filters are absolutely excellent quality. I use them for filtering our flavoured vodkas and think they are a big step up from the old Harris coffee filters I used to use. The frame means that they can filter all around, not just through the bottom. If you are doing a lot of filtering they are worth the money. Cheers.
Doc

Great find, thanks Doc. we love our flavoured vodkas and filtering is a pain. I ordered this last night, hoping its faster and better than coffee filters.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
the Doctor wrote:Guys while not as cheap as coffee filters. I do a lot of filtering so have invested in these
Doc

Great find, thanks Doc. we love our flavoured vodkas and filtering is a pain. I ordered this last night, hoping its faster and better than coffee filters.

BB I can guarantee that they are a quantum leap forward in terms of speed and efficacy. When I consider the years I used Harris coffee filters, I would never go back. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:20 pm

I just use paper towel in a funnel .Maybe I'm not very fussy but seems to work .All the Oak dust and shit stays in the paper and the flow is almost as fast as just pouring straight through a funnel .

Last time I used coffee filter papers was when I did wines and I couldn't stand the stress of watching those pesky little flies buzzing about and wondering whether the filtering or the bacterial infestation was going to occur first
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development