Pot and Reflux together

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Pot and Reflux together

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 am

This is no new idea.
We see a Pot still and Reflux in large distilleries the world over.

Was thinking thought. As hobby distillers go we have come a long way in a short time.
OD gave us the Flute and many changes/adaptations have been made since.

So it would be interesting to take it to the next level and put a pot n reflux together.

This is a rough design for you lot to shoot holes in.

Tell us what's wrong and what you think could make it work or work better.

Pot and Reflux still combined.jpg

DBV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Re: Pot and Reflux together

Postby Dominator » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 am

I agree mate. Compound stills really are the future. Commercial distilleries spend countless time and money on developing their stills. For us on a hobby level it is a matter of replicating scaling them down efficently and in a way a home builder can manage. If you have not already, take a look at blondies modified barbet still, viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3751 it is by far my favourite build. It took me a while to get my head around it but when I did, it blew me away. It is a bubbler with a true rectification column. Modular stills are great but with the flick of a valve blondes still can go from a 4 plater to vodka and with a built in gin basket it really is a true all rounder.

Looking at your drawings, I don't think you need the second boiler. The hot vapour from your pot still should be enough to reboil the contents of the second thumper. Also I think the cost and physical size of having two boilers may be out of reach for many home distillers.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: Pot and Reflux together

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:41 am

Dominator wrote:Looking at your drawings, I don't think you need the second boiler. The hot vapour from your pot still should be enough to reboil the contents of the second thumper. Also I think the cost and physical size of having two boilers may be out of reach for many home distillers.

Thanks for the input D
My thoughts on the boilers is they would be kegs each with wash in them.
So the cost would be minimal.
I used a fancy drawing from previous pipedream and modified it. :D

More thinking of where the pipe from the Pot would enter the Reflux.
If it goes to the thumper after a rock section, the vapour would be higher purity than the vapour it combines with from the second boiler.

The whole idea is to be able to lower the height of the reflux.
Increase the amount of wash being distilled at the fastest rate possible.
So there are many variables.
Looking for flaws and improvements.
I've already got a pot still and two kegs.... just need the second 3 ring burner and ?

Of course there is the cool factor as well :D :D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Return to Hardware Research & Development