Cooling tank size

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Cooling tank size

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:58 am

Its only 9 days untill I move house, once the move is done I can finaly set up my home distillery. Once set up I want to upgrade to a recirculating cooling system. I have access to basically unlimited radiators(condensers) from old refrigeration systems so the return water will be cooled. How big of a water tank do you think I will need?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: Cooling tank size

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:05 am

I would have thought that If your return water is going to be cooled then the tank only needs to hold enough water to cover the pump plus what volume the system requires when primed.

But the cooling system must remove all the heat the boiler puts in or it will get hot real quick without a buffer
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Yummyrum wrote:I would have thought that If your return water is going to be cooled then the tank only needs to hold enough water to cover the pump plus what volume the system requires when primed.

But the cooling system must remove all the heat the boiler puts in or it will get hot real quick without a buffer

Cool. I might start out with a 30 or 40L tank and see how it goes. A bit of trial and error with my radiator size.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:01 pm

IBC and submersible pump if you got the room, then there's no need for other things like radiators etc that increase percentages for failure.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14 pm

MacStill wrote:IBC and submersible pump if you got the room, then there's no need for other things like radiators etc that increase percentages for failure.

To use an IBC it would have to be about 10-12m away from where I have my still setup. If I was going to go that way I would use the house water tank but I dont know how well a submersible pump will work having to pump that far and up 2.5M.

The idea is to avoid having the house water pump running for 3+ hours every time I run my still, I don't know if pressure pumps are designed to run for hours continuously
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby bt1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:43 am

Howdy,

use a 750w submersible pump on 1100lt tank...covers every still type/run done.

Pump pushes on 19mm irrigation pipe bout 5m distance lift of about 2m no probs...still uses 3 x 19mm pressure reliefs as well.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Hardware Research & Development