POLYCARBONATE FERRULE LENS

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

POLYCARBONATE FERRULE LENS

Postby hellglade » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:17 am

Hi ALL

anyone have any comments on polycarbonate ferrule lens . I believe pollycarb has resistance to ethanol and this chemical resistance chart http://www.palramhort.com/pdffiles/PC_P ... stance.pdf
hellglade

equipment: none looking at getting

Re: POLYCARBONATE FERRULE LENS

Postby Mrs Mac » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Hellglade,

Please note that the chemical resistance chart that you have submitted has only tested this product at room temperature and has LR (Limited resistance) to pure Ethanol
If you intend to use this on a boiler or column may I suggest that you do not.

As with all Poly products that may be suited to the temperatures that we use in this hobby they will discolor over time and go a cloudy/milky color.
You are much better of going for the Sight Glasses. Hope this helps
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:12 pm

there is no way I would use polycarbonate. its melting point is about 100 degrees. with the temperatures in the column, the energy released during condensation and the effect ethanol will have on the polycarbonate- it would b a steer clear.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:23 pm

I think I read somewhere that polycarbonate is bad news all round, even when used for drinking glasses, No idea where I read it or why....or maybe it was on TV or radio.
Bugger it...google time...lets have a look.
Ok heaps there if you want to search, here is one just for starters..... http://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/bpa/bpa_side_effects.php a million more there to look at if you want.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby hellglade » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 am

thanks for the input , don't think they will be on my shopping list .
hellglade

equipment: none looking at getting

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 am

Depending on your location I may be able to assist, we have borosilicate ferrule lenses available in 2" 3" & 4" ;-)

IMG_1116.JPG

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Hardware Research & Development