Filtering yes i know its frowned apon

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Filtering yes i know its frowned apon

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Don't shoot me I know its frowned apon but I have an order to build a large carbon filter question
Copper [easy]
Stainless steel [harder ]
Will copper be ok or must I go stainless
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Re: Filtering yes i know its frowned apon

Postby dogbreath vodka » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Copper would be great.... just got to look at the costs involved

Don't forget to post a photo... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Working copper is fun and I like to see what others are making.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Kimbo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Mate, Its not frowned upon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Either one will be ok, S/S is easier to keep shiny, ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:01 pm

I built an SS one in about 3 minutes :teasing-neener:

20131009_131447.jpg

Reckon it would hold around 12 litres :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 8-ball » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Where would a good place be to get carbon from or is it a hbs only buy
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby 1 2many » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:12 pm

MacStill wrote:I built an SS one in about 3 minutes :teasing-neener:

20131009_131447.jpg

You can even put an S bend in if you want. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Best Macano set i ever got. :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:13 pm

1 2many wrote:
MacStill wrote:I built an SS one in about 3 minutes :teasing-neener:

20131009_131447.jpg

You can even put an S bend in if you want. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Best Macano set i ever got. :D

That would've made it take 5 minutes to build 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks mack that's the go as far as carbon goes the bloke I know bought a 60 kg bag from the hbs
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Thanks mack that's the go as far as carbon goes the bloke I know bought a 60 kg bag from the hbs

Did he tell you what he paid for it? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby FireKitty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Let me know as I'm interested too, local HBS charges for activated carbon are through the roof, have been tempted to use the Aqua1 pet shop stuff to be honest! :P
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Postby SBB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Don't shoot me I know its frowned apon

I dont think its really frowned apon, Its more a case that most serious distillers who try hard enough, in the end get their washes, cuts and other procedures good enough.that they don't need to filter. Having said that , not everybody has the time , patience or the still to produce true neutral. Im sure filtering can help those who don't have all of the above.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:06 am

It's not frowned upon as such. You can make a good drink better with it by at a hefty cost and some due diligence would give you a comparable product, what is frowned on is instructions on how to polish a turd using it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby the Doctor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:55 am

I do not know where the misconception that using activated carbon is wrong or that it is in-effective came from. The reality is that until one is experienced enough to know how to cut with some measure of precision, Activated carbon can help to eliminate some of the smeared congeners in even the cleanest wash. Also if you are being told it is expensive you are not getting good advice. Buy the most expensive and best quality carbon you can buy...as it will last a lifetime... Here at the distillery we wash and regenerate our carbon weekly, firstly by boiling in a stock pot of water for 1 and 1/2 hours then by spreading on a baking tray and baking in an oven at 250 degrees for up to 2 hours. The resulting carbon is rendered as good as new...I can think of no cheaper or more effective way for a distiller to ensure neutrality from smeared congeners. Use carbon with pride, as it is used by some of the best Vodka makers in the world.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks Dock
Aussiedownunder01

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:17 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Thanks mack that's the go as far as carbon goes the bloke I know bought a 60 kg bag from the hbs

Did he tell you what he paid for it? :think:

yes $380.00
Aussiedownunder01

Postby CH3CH2OH » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Good response Doc

Filtering is not necessarily bad at all, in fact sometimes it is required by law!!!!

The regulations in Canada REQUIRE that distillers filter through charcoal in order to call their finished product vodka.

Here is their regulations from the Food and Drugs Act in respect for vodka

B.02.080. [S]. Vodka shall be a potable alcoholic beverage obtained by the treatment of grain spirit or potato spirit with charcoal so as to render the product without distinctive character, aroma or taste.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby Petulance » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks Doc for telling us that the pros use carbon filtering too!

I've only used it once, and the resulting product was completely devoid of any taste or smell. Not a particularly nice drink by itself, but I guess it was "neutral".

It's interesting that you say your distillery reactivates and reuses it's carbon ... the little man at the HBS says that can't be done! Mind you, that might simply be "assuring a future market".

So tell us, what kind of carbon do you use? The granulated or the small rod shaped pellets? Can you give us a brand that might suit the amateurs? Is the fish tank stuff OK to use, or should we stick to the stuff flogged by the HBS at scalpers' prices?
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby 1 2many » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:39 pm

This where i got mine from have know idea if it is cheap or not but will give it ago.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270994794635 ... 1439.l2649
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby the Doctor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Petulance wrote:Thanks Doc for telling us that the pros use carbon filtering too!

I've only used it once, and the resulting product was completely devoid of any taste or smell. Not a particularly nice drink by itself, but I guess it was "neutral".

It's interesting that you say your distillery reactivates and reuses it's carbon ... the little man at the HBS says that can't be done! Mind you, that might simply be "assuring a future market".

So tell us, what kind of carbon do you use? The granulated or the small rod shaped pellets? Can you give us a brand that might suit the amateurs? Is the fish tank stuff OK to use, or should we stick to the stuff flogged by the HBS at scalpers' prices?

Mate I use coconut granular carbon ...and the guy at the HBS is full of the proverbial...you certainly can regenerate carbon...I bet the guy at the HBS says you can make whiskey with little bottles of cordial...and all you have to do is throw away the first 50ml that come out of your still and drink the rest... Yep I would trust the guy at the HBS...some are good don't get me wrong...but some are simply dangerous, especially with the advice they hand out to new distillers.

Better you ask on the forums, if anyone slings you BS they get put in their place quick smart. The method for regenerating is somewhere in this thread from memory, it is really easy and effective. And you will never have to buy another bag of carbon.

You said that the product you put through the filter was neutral...that is what you are doing it for. Neutral is what I use as a carriage for other flavours. For example I am working on a new part A and Part B cocktail mix which turns into a lemon sorbet foam when combined...it is light...I mean, way light. The sorbet part b needs to be able to last in an open bottle without refrigeration, thus we use the center cut neutral for it. Also if you like a dry vodka martini it is the absolute best on a centre cut neutral. So it is horses for courses. Making brown spirits out of neutral is not the best idea, if it is flavour you are seeking.

Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby 1 2many » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 pm

When you say granular carbon what size are the granules :-B is it a bit like black sand :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development