How "tech" does a thumper need to be??

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: How "tech" does a thumper need to be??

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:21 pm

I do believe that any improvement will be minimal and not noticeable at the hobby level. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It doesn't need to be over engineered to work as intended.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi bj, your at it again I see, good on ya pushing the boundaries and searching for improvement. Mate I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly but how will you direct the refluxed spirit into the outside well of the thumper when it is coming down from the plates above? Will there be a pipe attached to your downcomer on the bottom plate? The reason I ask is that you don't want your spirit falling from your bottom plate straight back into that center tube and back into your boiler. But other than that it looks cool and should work ok, although I'm not sure how much better the product will be? From my understanding a thumper isn't really there to clean your product as much as it is to store your distilate so you don't have to get it out of the wash so many times. I think.
Good luck with it mate and let us know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Maybe this might be a great experimental plate rather than as a thumper .......Nice concept .Thanks for keeping our brains going

As a plate , I see it as only needing the wall guide and a center down comer with the reflux re-direction underneath as per your second drawing
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Return to Hardware Research & Development