Stainless Steel fermentation filters

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Stainless Steel fermentation filters

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Hey all,

Got these from eBay for a couple of dollars to try out in my fermenters so I can use the drain port (these go on the inside of the tap). They may need some slight modification as the mesh is very fine so will report back.

For size comparison, took a couple of pics next to my iPhone;

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Re: Stainless Steel fermentation filters

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:26 pm

They sound like a good idea, I'll be watching closely.

Won't the fine yeasty stuff still get through that? And would that matter? you could tilt the fermenter back so the bed moves further away from the tap i guess.

Keep us updated :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bigcam » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:03 pm

I built a simlar one for my 200lt fermenter last week as the corn was blocking the pipe.
i used a finer mesh than yours by the looks of it but mine is 12 inchs long and it flows full pipe with no corn :handgestures-thumbupleft:
you will probably find if it doesnt work real good it will be from not the mesh size but the length ( surface area )
its to do with the pressure applied to the mesh in a smaller surface area it will be high and grains will pack against it reducing flow
but when you spread it over a larger surface area the pressure lessens and grains will not pack against it and good flow :D
bigcam

equipment: upgraded 110lt gas fired boiler
24lt inline thumper
4 inch x 4 plate with 4 inch shotty with parrot

Postby bigcam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 pm

might be different pressures if only using a smaller fermenter
hope it works for ya mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bigcam

equipment: upgraded 110lt gas fired boiler
24lt inline thumper
4 inch x 4 plate with 4 inch shotty with parrot

Postby halfbaked » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:56 pm

They look nice and I would say work good. The all grain beer makers use something that you might like also. They take a stainless braided line that is used as a fill line for a toilet or one for a cloths washer and pull the inside out and crimp one end hook the other end to the valve for draining. The other thing they do is make a copper drain that is not soldered together. They make a loop and cut slits in bottom or small holes for the to drain. It is kind of like a drain around your house to carry ground water out. I think the term is a french drain in construction.
mashtundrain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Return to Hardware Research & Development