Copper mesh re cleaning

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Copper mesh re cleaning

Postby bt1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:34 am

Just an observation.

I ran the cleanest neutral wash I know how to make - wheatgerm - DWWG and ran two 48lt lots through the still with a .5m copper mesh filtering section on 6 plates.

Pulled mesh out for dose of sodium percarbonate cleaning as it won't be used for weeks.

The amount of crap from two very clean washes I would never have thought possible. Actually astounded would be closer to the truth. Cleanest tasting/smelling I've ever made batch @ 92abv btw but geez.

Mac that filtering mesh you sell is a bloody winner imho.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Copper mesh re cleaning

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks for the good wrap mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

We're looking forward to receiving more stock of this "cleaner" mesh late this week or early next week, it's pretty crazy to see how much shit sticks to it after a few runs, I wont bother using stainless scrubbies or scoria again after using the structured copper packing ;-)

Cheers,

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frothwizard » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm gonna chime in here and echo bt1's sentiments. After ditching the stainless scrubbers and putting that packing in, my neutral is in a whole different level. I thought it was pretty good before but occasionally I would still filter it to get rid of that 'last bit' that sometime's comes out once you've proofed it down.

Not any more. It doesn't even occur to me any more. I quite happily hand my mates of bottle of neutral now and say "Add it to anything, you won't be disappointed".

I know you were thinking about getting rid of it Mac but I think your persistence in getting this product 'right' is definitely going to pay off in the long run.

Good job!!

FW
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks Frothy, just hoping its the same but cleaner now..... the oily stuff is a bastard to clean and deal with.

I think this time we might change the way we sell it though, might do it in 2" 3" & 4" rolls so as to give the customer the right amounts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby poompy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:15 am

just in time mac...i was looking at getting some ss scrubbers for my build but may wait out till you get some of this new stuff in for a 2" column :handgestures-thumbupleft:
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby Guppy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Why does the copper mesh produce a better product than the stainless scrubbies? Wouldnt it all be relevant to the amount you use and how you pack it?
Guppy

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler and pot still.

Postby bt1 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:22 pm

The copper better holds the sulphides and a few other volatiles from the vapour better. You'll see it as dull brown/grey residue build up on most copper still components.

Slightly different from patina however this normally has sulphides, sulphates, oxides in it as well.

bt1
bt1

Postby 1 2many » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:08 pm

How did you go with the cleaning of the copper bt1?

any pics :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bt1 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:48 pm

1 2,

Sodium percarbonate I prefer for copper/SS it works well, it not as harsh as citric acid based cleaners and appears to not "eat" the metal or solder joints. No residuals and bugger all rinsing needed.

Didn't take a picy of the pre clean shtity lot but the post lot about the same as when new if that helps.

bt1
bt1

Return to Hardware Research & Development