Sour mash corn cooker/mash/lauter tun all in one build

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Sour mash corn cooker/mash/lauter tun all in one build

Postby cap73n » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Just a few questions guys...

I've been making a few different styles of all grain whiskeys recently with some "sub-par" equipment, lol. And I've been getting by, but I would like to make life easier.

I want to mash corn wheat or rye, with as little drama as possible. Currently I use a step mash procedure in a gas fired stock pot with constant stiring etc.

I can tig stainless etc but I am not confident in my ability for pressurised steam. So my idea is that I would like to make mash/lauter tun that sits in a jacket/water bath. Thus I would boil the water in the jacket which would transfer the heat to the 'corn' mash in incremental amounts and rest periods eventually getting the mash too around 93 degrees Celsius to cook the corn, then drop back town to 65 degrees to add malt and mash out. Then lauter off.

I'm handy with the tools, and have plenty of access to dairy grade stainless, so the build is not my problem. I just want to know whether a hot water bath would be able to get the corn mash to 93 degrees or not. And also whether you think an all in one cooker/mash/lauter tun is a possibility or even a good idea.

Also, it will have a lid and insulation.

Thanks in advance guys.
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Re: Sour mash corn cooker/mash/lauter tun all in one build

Postby 1 2many » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:35 pm

How many liters are you talking about?

Unless you plan on going commercial I think your plan is a bit excessive for a hobby mash/lauter tun. :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby cap73n » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 pm

1 2many wrote:How many liters are you talking about?

Unless you plan on going commercial I think your plan is a bit excessive for a hobby mash/lauter tun. :-B

Well I want about 100 litres of wash. So about 100 litres plus some headspace.

I have been known to be a little excessive sometimes, but I want to make something that won't take up too much space, that I can just leave set-up in my shed and not have to set-up/breakdown and pack up every time I want to use it. Thus, an all in one would be ideal for me so I can neatly locate it in the corner and minimise time/losses due to spillage etc/cleaning/etc
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:06 am

I just used a 180L esky mash tun and a 50L keg boiler along with a BIAB bag. You'll need some gloves that can handle a bit of heat but other than that you'll be right to go.

You can always spend more money if you like by including a recirculating pump and mash temperature controller.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Return to Hardware Research & Development