propane torch for 2'

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

propane torch for 2'

Postby Pete8686 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Started my pot still build, picked up a $40 propane torch from bunnings for the soldering. Finished my 3/4 over 1/2 liebig, piss easy and the torch worked a treat. Just wondering if it will be good enough to solder up the 2' pipe to the 2-1' reducer and the 'easy easy flange'. The other bends/reducers shouldnt be a problem. Cheers in advance guys
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Re: propane torch for 2'

Postby Rowey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi Pete,

I used a propane torch for my 2 inch pot the only thing I needed the map gas was to joint the easy flange ring together before soldering it to the base of the 2inch pipe. I don't think you will be able to get the easy flange ring hot enough to silver solder it together.

Cheers Rowey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Postby Pete8686 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Cheers Rowey, just found macs soft soldering thread and all should be good. So apparently soft solder is no good for the ring and ill have a hard time with a propane torch :think: . Oh well mapp gas n torch it is! Im sure it'll come in handy for future builds lol :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pete8686

Postby Rowey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:04 pm

No worries :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It will come in handy later on as you will need it for your bubbler build :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Postby Pete8686 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Haha, I put off building this pot for so long. Kinda put it in the too hard basket but now realise its not very hard at all. Looking at all these nice copper bends, reducers, and pipes has me hooked. The trouble and strife is not impressed but I'll work on her too lol. If I can master these easy flanges a bubbler build is definitely in the near future :handgestures-thumbupleft: I keep telling the wife it will be cheaper than buying one (I really want one of macs amazingly crafted shiny ss jobs though). Maybe ill have both! :handgestures-thumbupleft: wishful thinking
Pete8686

Return to Hardware Research & Development