Radiator for gas fired boiler?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Radiator for gas fired boiler?

Postby warramungas » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:44 pm

I was looking at one of those heavy duty stainless radiators out of a 4wd and thinking to myself "How can I use that?"
Obviously water recirculation was one thought, then I thought, "Why not under the boiler?"
A lot of heat is wasted going up the sides of the boiler because the surface area on the bottom of the 'keg' is not sufficient to transfer it all to the mash. When power stations do co-generation they don't just plonk a big tank of water on top of the GT and try to heat it like a pot. They use radiators to transfer the heat.
Could we plumb a radiator (maybe even a stainless/copper coil) into the base of the keg to give better heat transfer into the mash?
Would cleaning become too big of an issue?
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: Radiator for gas fired boiler?

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Personally I think your over thinking things mate and cleaning could be an issue.

Keep it simple and you probably find that you will have less problems to worry about.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:35 pm

1 2many wrote:Personally I think your over thinking things mate and cleaning could be an issue.

Keep it simple and you probably find that you will have less problems to worry about.

:text-+1:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby warramungas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:51 am

1 2many wrote:Personally I think your over thinking things mate.

Yeah. My wife tells me I tend to do that too. Sometimes it works out for the better.
Not this time.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Hardware Research & Development