Sight tubes - Primus vs others

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Sight tubes - Primus vs others

Postby HiString » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:20 pm

While I know that the Primus "glasses" are considerably thinner than those from distilling suppliers, are there any real disadvantages to using them?
HiString

Re: Sight tubes - Primus vs others

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:29 pm

They break easy 8-}
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby HiString » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 pm

LOL.....I figured that but are they prone to do so all by themselves or is it a case of people not handling them as carefully as they possibly should?
HiString

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Yeah not handeling them properly and any imperfections in the ends or sealing surfaces. If i would do it again i wouldn't use them.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby woodduck » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:53 am

I can tell you I've had no problem with 5star's glass. Tough as buggery, 5mm thick, made from borosilicate so it's temperature tolerant so a splash of cold water when there hot won't break them. I've hit them several times with a spanner while tightening the nuts and not even a chip.

I haven't used or seen the lantern glass so I don't really have anything to compare them to but I don't regret paying the extra coin for the peace of mind. Plenty of blokes have used the lantern glass without problems so yes you can use them but I think you would have to be much more careful with them.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby HiString » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

Rum,

I'd just read your glass bubbler build thread before seeing the last comments here and am very impressed ^:)^ ........thank God I can call my own shots at work, reading the forums over the morning coffee at my desk before going into the factory to work on the s/steel cone mentioned in my other thread :D .

A brain fart has me ready to start a thread in the boiler forum, it has to do with working copper so I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers
HiString

Return to Hardware Research & Development