Water connection

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Water connection

Postby Jackson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:08 pm

Has anyone used these connectors for their cooling water? they look like they would give a nice clean connection and easy to take apart.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/smartex-20mm-x-3-4-push-pex-brass-coupling_p4700313
Jackson

equipment: Currently have a T500. looking to get a pot still head to expand my abilities

Re: Water connection

Postby caspian » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:46 pm

I think those connectors are meant to be used with rigid wall or very stiff piping. If you're going to use them with flexible hose I would do a leak test somewhere waterproof first.
caspian

equipment: T500 boiler and copper pot still head

Postby Hardie355 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:50 pm

There just for pex piping used in construction although i wouldnt trust the shit in my house.
You could use them and the pipe but it would be a real PITA, but if your looking to get a permanent supply to a valve near your area there perfect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby Jackson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:34 pm

how stiff is PEX piping, i have never use it?

I am struggling to decide on a nice neat way to do my water connection. anyone want to weigh in?
Jackson

equipment: Currently have a T500. looking to get a pot still head to expand my abilities

Postby Hardie355 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm a plumber and use all different kinds of pex pipes, they are flexible but not like a garden hose. it also has a memory so if you get coiled pipe it wants to stay coiled unless you straighten it and leave it in hot sun for a few hours.
Best bet would be go to tradelink or Reece and ask to have a look at them, ive got heaps of it laying around and i just used garden hose and good connections on my bubbler :D
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby WicketNut » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:01 pm

I wanted to connect to both a reservoir (260lt) and mains because I couldn't fit in an IBC and the reservoir got too hot during a long run.

I went with push connects and pex throughout.

IMG_0793 (2).JPG

IMG_0794 (2).JPG

Sorry if the photos don't work - first go at it.

End result - this system is expensive, but once it was in it is absolutely easy to manage. Can very easily remove the fittings and therefore dismantle the cooling to the still, and I can monitor the heat of the incoming cooling water and react before it is a problem.

There is another thread showing cooling systems with old air cons - not my strength so I went this way instead. Pex is easy to work with, but the cost is in the elbows and tees.

Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WicketNut

equipment: Copper T500, FSD 4" pot, 25 ltr boiler
100 ltr pro fsd boiler 4 bubble plates, gin baskets
8" inline thumper, not enough space

Postby Redux » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 pm

i used irrigation pipe with push fittings and ratchett locks... all easy and cheap... i used 19mm and had no dramas even with my moderate skills...

ready for water test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby 1 2many » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:34 pm

I used push in air fittings with great success.

But you can use anything that doesn't leak. :))

images(2).jpg
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby caspian » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Jackson wrote:how stiff is PEX piping, i have never use it?

bloody stiff.

I am struggling to decide on a nice neat way to do my water connection. anyone want to weigh in?

I bought one of these for a water line that I needed to be able to unclip easily. bit pricey though. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300895995797

if you need something larger bore, have a look at an aquarium pet store. you can get really nice quick-disconnect and isolator connectors for use with external tank filters. cheaper to do it with garden components from Bunnings, but they are a lot more compact.
caspian

equipment: T500 boiler and copper pot still head

Return to Hardware Research & Development