Recirculated water cooling system discussion

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Recirculated water cooling system discussion

Postby rumsponge » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:42 pm

not too worried about corrosion at this stage - more worried about the solder joints. but when not in operation I drain the cooliing liquid from the system (PC/RC/AC) and will probably change the water regularly once a week at least for the next few months (there is still some compressor oil coming out of the AC unit).
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby rumsponge » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:49 am

Just a quick heads up. I have been using my AC recirculation system for about a year now and have done about 30 runs. Works great. However, lately I noticed a significant drop in flow rates (less than 1L/min). I suspected the cheapo Ozito pump at first, but discovered that the AC unit contains two in-line filters (one mesh-type and another mesh/silica beads type). These are relatively close to the actual heat exchanging coils and quite hidden inside the copper piping (so not obvious). They were clogged quite severely with dust etc. I removed them and flow rates were back up to initial rates in excess of 10L/min. Will replace them with an inline garden hose mesh strainer.

Cheers RS
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby scythe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Yeah they would be the dessicant filters to keep water out of the refrigerant gas originally.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby loveitfree » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 am

Great thread. Have been reading up and trying to discover a way to do this. It seems like you guys have found a suitable system. This is the direction that I'll be heading. Thanks guys. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
loveitfree

equipment: No more essencia lol
FSD Neutraliser and 50l milkcan.

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development