Propane Torch Help/Advice

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Propane Torch Help/Advice

Postby WTDist » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:56 am

So my propane torch decided to get clogged up and not work anymore so me being me i tried fixing it knowing i was making it worse 8-}

so i need to either get another pinpoint torch from bunnings for 30 odd $$ or get one for my propane bottle at home.
was looking at this one but it needs a regulator. Never bought a regulator before so im wondering if anyone knows how much they are, one that will fit on this hose.

or

does anyone know where i can get a similar one for same price but all together, regulator and all so all i need to do is buy it and put it on my gas cylinder as is. even an oxygen/propane one would be great if its not too expensive

This is because my plans have changed after a weekend down south at the in laws property and looks like im keeping my distilling stuff down their place, they dont think i should sell stuff im so passionate about (stillin equipment) :D wife has agreed :music-deathmetal:
Still doing all grain beer at home though like i planed, then all grain whisky at the in laws on a 4" i will build at home, hence the dire need for a new propane torch and advice :D

Cheers
WTD
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Propane Torch Help/Advice

Postby WTDist » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:09 pm

anyone know if this will work with the above link?

Cheers
WTDist

Postby Hardie355 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Hey WTD good to hear your going to continue, this maybe out of your budget but fuck they make life easy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-o ... t_p5910240
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby woodduck » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm not sure you will need a regulator at all. I use a torch similar to that and I don't use a reg. I use a small 4kg bottle though but doubt that would make any difference. I'd try without to start with.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby WTDist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 am

cheers guys. i found a regulator i dont need on my outdoor gas heater thing that doesnt work, the heater , i suspect the regulator is alright. my gas cylinder is 8.5kg but about half full. Just not sure if the end of the hose in the pic will screw onto my regulator end, looks about 1/2" or 3/8" on the regulator.

is there a barbecue shop like bbq galore i can go to for fittings, or plumbing store to make sure they join up good?

cheers
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:40 am

Ive sent a message to the seller on ebay but i really want to get moving. does anyone know the connection type of the end of the hose in the pic below. the regulator im using is in the following pic with a 1/2" connection that i will need to change most likely, i cant make out the hose size but the tip where i will have heat i think is 17mm diameter. can anyone help point out what i need to make the regulator connect to the end of the propane torches hose
Ghant C001 1.5gh/h 2.8kPa
2016-03-07 11.35.21.jpg

Even where to go to buy connections required would be great

Cheers
WTD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTDist

Postby xcvator » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:09 pm

I bought 1 of those little propane torches complete with little bottle from Bunnings, then after the bottle ran out I got and adaptor hose that connects straight into an 8 kg gas bottle, no regulator needed.
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby WTDist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:20 pm

so i can just buy an adapter to screw into this hose and the top of the cylinder?
WTDist

Postby scythe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:57 pm

I think most little gas connections are 3/8" LH bsp.
Bunning has a small area of adapters in the bbq section, but a camping store will have more.
The regular BBQ connection is called "POL"
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby xcvator » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:34 pm

WTDist wrote:so i can just buy an adapter to screw into this hose and the top of the cylinder?

This is what I bought http://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-propane-handyman-full-flame-blow-torch-kit_p5910245 but it was only about $30-00

and then I got 1 of these http://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-torch-extension-hose-kit-pol-to-cga600_p5910248 again the price was about $48-00
cheers Keith
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:56 pm

All I use now is a 8.5kg bunnings gas bottle along with a bottle of oxy and my oxy torch, only need a real low pressure and it's just like using acetylene.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Kenster » Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 pm

its easy to regulate off a barbie bottle...the bottle valve (dont open flat stick) and the adjustment/demand valve on the torch... ie. 2 sources of regulating...no reg needed.
The pressure is quite low so i use a brass joiner with ss hose clamps on a length of 10mm air hose, connected to the cut off bit/fitting that goes into the bbq bottle.Works ok for me.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Hardware Research & Development