Where to position a thermometer port

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Where to position a thermometer port

Postby Petulance » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm getting a thermometer port put into my boiler.

Where should I put it?

In the vapour space at the top of the boiler or should it be placed so that it's submerged in the wash?
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Re: Where to position a thermometer port

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:56 pm

I'd go in the top of the boiler mate, mainly because it'll be easier to read.

The actual temperature doesn't really matter, you'll soon work out what your still is at when its 'up to temperature'. Which is all a thermometer is really good for :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Petulance » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks Zac. If no-one disagrees, I'll stick it at the top - in the vapour space.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Petulance wrote:Thanks Zac. If no-one disagrees, I'll stick it at the top - in the vapour space.

Unless it's a rectal thermometer that is...
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:21 pm

Another option if ya dont have a fill port ,would be ta weld on a 2inch ferrule ,then weld your thermo screwfitting to a 2inch blanking disk,thus mounting ya thermo and giving ya a fill or rinseing port as well ,useing the silicone ferrule seals as well helps easy opening,I found the best position by mounting the still onto the boiler then used the large funnel I use for filling to guide me.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby 620rossco » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:08 am

Put it at the top in the headspace, preferably not in the liquid.
Learning to read changes in the temp of the vapor coming off the wash is really useful.
It is a very good guide to making cuts, for instance when the vapor gets to 95deg then the tails will show up shortly, start making adjustments to keep them in the column.
Once you get the swing of reading it you will be able to make heads cuts in jars, hearts into a stainless pot and tails cuts in jars.
Almost as important as the parrot IMO.
Hope this helps rossco. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
620rossco

equipment: 3"pot 2"double bok 3"LM/VM.

Return to Hardware Research & Development