Good sauce on a Italian Spiral gas heater?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Good sauce on a Italian Spiral gas heater?

Postby bundyftw » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

I've been looking on google for a good cheap spiral gas heater for my 50l keg, but seems most sites are direct from china. can anyone recomend a reliable site or store to buy a suitable gas heater for a 50L keg?
thanks
bundyftw

equipment: 25L super reflux
Homemade Copper Boka LM (project)
Homemade Copper Pot still & liebig condenser

Re: Good sauce on a Italian Spiral gas heater?

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi mate,if you want something cheap that works real well,check out the thread in accessories (I think).I posted pics and everything there a few months ago.a few of the fellas here have built em,I know Stubs has :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Although they may be cheap they really work,have fornd that by putting a shroud around the stand you cut the gas usage by about half (and the noise by about 200 decibels) :text-lol:
Will post a pic of the stand I made incorporating the burner as soon as I can find the camera.Will be giving the new prototype a run this weekend if time allows heh heh heh
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby maheel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:57 pm

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html

i have the "old version" that you can see on the home page of beerbelly.com.au
i run mine with a BBQ reg and it boils my 35L of all grain beer keggle easy (cut open keg = keggle). a high pressure reg would make it come to boil faster but you would then turn it down.
i have also run the still on it stripping but not slow reflux runs... gas usage would get up there if your doing boka / VM runs i reckon
beer belly also has some mongo burners that people say are good, but you need a few extras to get them working

http://gameco.com.au/
this mob are also pretty handy for stuff that burns as well :)
maheel

Postby bundyftw » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 pm

That homemade gas heater looks freakin awesome! reckon that's my weekend project right there..hmm :think: metal to scrounge..guess a good spark arrestor/reg is in order. im thinking for an enclosure cut off bottom 44gal drum & couple bricks .

Maheel, i checked your link, cheers. that's the type of rig i was looking at, i was going to weld together my own stand and buy a cast iron burner but this homemade burner appeals to my creative/destructive/tight ass side.

*edited to add, i see your point about the gas usage getting up there with a slow spirit run. maybe i could get a 2200w keg element, get the keg hot with the burner then run it on the electric element...though from the looks of the flame on this design it'd probally burn the seal/housing of the element to carbon..

Thanks fella's!
Last edited by bundyftw on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bundyftw

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:44 pm

bundyftw wrote:That homemade gas heater looks freakin awesome! reckon that's my weekend project right there..

Thanks fella's!

That burner is known as the " BD 747" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bundyftw » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Mcstill, no worries..bring on the noise, joys of acreage!

Big Don, you said when you made a decent enclosure it halved your gas usage?, does that mean you could get away with using a regular hose and reg to heat a 50l keg with a decent enclosure set up?
bundyftw

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:34 am

bundyftw wrote:Big Don, you said when you made a decent enclosure it halved your gas usage?, does that mean you could get away with using a regular hose and reg to heat a 50l keg with a decent enclosure set up?

BFTW, I don't think Big Don mean't it quite that way, these burners need the high pressure reg to run properly, I think what he mean't was , the enclosure "trapped" in the heat and this in turn had made the run time shorter, thus saving gas that way
I am often wrong and its OK to correct me, Im pretty thick skined :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:37 am

Na still need the HP reg, but you don't need to crank up the horse power anywhere near as much,I just found the camera in the truck so will post pic's of the stand when I get home tonight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby maheel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:55 am

you could run two burners

1. BD747 to heat up fast
2. swap to a 3 ring or something

only as i thought the BD747 may have low control in the "low flame" area ? (might be wrong but)
maheel

Postby maheel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:58 pm

http://jbbrewsupplies.com.au/index.php? ... duct_id=90

dragging a thread back up for this

not a cheap option but ready to go

these work well on bbq regs
maheel

Postby bundyftw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:30 pm

thanks guys, got the bits ready to weld up, and a corro enclosure. i'll see how she runs and how hungry she is on gas, i wanna see how loud this thing is ha ha.
bundyftw

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Make sure you got some ear muffs handy :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Been bloody busy today guys and of course our beloved female members,will try and finish off the BD A380 Airbus tomorrow :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I gave it a trial run this evening,and even the better half came out to see what all the fuckin commotion was,I reckon it had every dog within 4blocks running 4 cover :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: And it was all your fault Draino :handgestures-thumbupleft: Christ this thing goes PMSL. It honestly looks like the arse end of a F-111 in full dump mode...dunno what sort of fuel economy it'd get....wouldn't be fuckin much :handgestures-thumbupleft: but the mad scientist side of me will probably win through....Just thinking how long it'd take to heat up 200l of wash :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
I know I'm gunna have to try it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby maheel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:57 pm

delivery for big don... :)

maheel

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 pm

When you due here Maheel :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby bundyftw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 pm

hey BD, someone ripped off your idea...

http://youtu.be/TQ5191tqU00
bundyftw

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Big Don wrote:I reckon it had every dog within 4blocks running 4 cover :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: And it was all your fault Draino :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How do ya fukin work that out BD ?
Sounds like a beauty though BD, I'd love to see it action, I'll bring my own ear plugs Image
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Return to Hardware Research & Development