Lyne arm angle

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Lyne arm angle

Postby Icarus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:33 am

I have been doing some serious reading with a view to designing and constructing a 25l pot still and have come across the following in regard to the effect of the lyne arm angle and its effect on the spirit produced in a pot still. I have quoted the info below.

"Moreover, the design and angle of the lyne arm more or less determines the quality and intenseness of each distillate. In the lyne arm, the alcoholic vapours are led
to the cooler. The angle influences the result:

Steep ascent (+) of the vapours - The alcoholic vapours have to fight their way uphill. Therefore, they cool down slowly resulting in a very smooth and high-proof distillate.

Parallel outflow of the vapours - The alcoholic vapours almost glide to the cooler. Therefore, they cool down moderately resulting in a rather smooth distillate.

Steep descent (-) of the vapours - The alcoholic vapours rapidly fall down to the cooler. Therefore, they cool down quickly resulting in a harsh but more low-proof distillate. However, there is the risk that the “wash” unintentionally gets into the distillate. To avoid that, soap is often used to release the surface tension."

Soap!!! Any one ever tried this?????

Feed back on the info and experiences would be appreciated.

cheers, Icarus
Icarus

equipment: Various

Re: Lyne arm angle

Postby SBB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

From what Ive read I get the impression that the lyne arm angle isnt as important in hobby size stills. That information is more relevant to commercial sized stills were the lyne arm is much bigger and can be much much longer. Thats my understanding of it anyway. In hobby sized stills it could possibly still have some small effect.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby LWTCS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 am

SBB wrote:From what Ive read I get the impression that the lyne arm angle isnt as important in hobby size stills. That information is more relevant to commercial sized stills were the lyne arm is much bigger and can be much much longer. Thats my understanding of it anyway. In hobby sized stills it could possibly still have some small effect.

I'll agree that the measurable difference may only be detected to the average slob by doing a side by side of product from a hobby still......

Hobby stillers are more likely to construct their outfits based on work space, available bits to be fashioned into still parts and weather or not we slobs prefer to collect on ours knees,,,,,,,,,or not. I say not.......My knees hurt.

Up turn=lighter spirits
level= medium spirits
Down turn= heavier spirits
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby R-sole » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 am

Sounds like complete fucking bullshit to me.

The vapour speed is determined by the pressure of the vapour being created by the boiler pushing it. It ain't gunna go downhill any faster and create a vaccuum behind it. :angry-banghead:

The difference in lyne arm angle is where any passive reflux is led. Uphill the reflux fals back towards the boiler, downhill the reflux falls towards the condensor.

On a hobby scale potstill with the passive reflux being so tiny, as Larry said, it makes 9/10ths of fuck all difference. :hand:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Icarus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 am

5Star, spoken in true Aussie vernacular! :clap:

Icarus
Icarus

equipment: Various

Postby Panda » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 am

So when build my still I should do a fixed arm on a 45degree angle (a 90 and 45 elbow off the columb) instead of wasting money on and dicking around with a union and 2 90s to make it variable?
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby LWTCS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 am

I would say that the modular quality of any build will allow for easier future mods,,,,within reason....
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:11 am

Devo
I used 1 x 90 deg, 1 x 45 deg, and then a ss barrel union onto the liebig, pull apart & adjustable :-D
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby SBB » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 am

A union is still very handy....it allows you to adjust the hight of the product output. to suit differnt situations. Having said that I built both my pot still without using a union........ if I had my time over i would definately use one.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:56 am

Gentlemen,
I am following this discussion with great interest. In the near future I intend building myself a copper pot still and as a new distiller I like to be perfect first time around. From experience I know that it is impossible but I am hanging onto every word written on this forum.
I have been looking at some works of art on Artisan Copper works, round copper balls, sight glasses etc etc. If I owned one of those I would have it in my loungeroom on display and polished the living daylights out of it everyday. To my wife's delight. Hmmm yeah, we all hope!!!!!!!
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44

equipment: small hobby reflux still

Return to Hardware Research & Development