G'day from Darling Downs Qld

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: G'day from Darling Downs Qld

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:24 am

Truly awesome work :handgestures-thumbupleft: btw what are pistons made of?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby lostmarbles » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks Lowie, I did try a hammered flange and I reckon it'd take fukn ages to get them right but doable. Thats when I tried making the die, the difference 2+ hrs hammered, 20 min from start to finish using the jenny & die per flange and they seal perfect first go. The one I did for a test I checked for flat by using bearing blue on a sheet of glass and clean up with acetone. 320grit wet & dry on a sheet of glass with water works good just to finish up, but you've probably already tried all that stuff anyway.
Cheers bluc the pistons are usually a high silicon aluminium I think and pretty hard as far as alloy goes. I figured it would be ok to use as its all external to the still and will clean up easy with some alloy cleaner.
lostmarbles

equipment: Pure distilling kit - gone after first use.
50l keg boiler & modular perforated plate 4" with reflux section.

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Get er done is obviously your motto,something that is needed on a farm these days ,its a tough place ta be with no one else ta blame ,exept the bloody weather maybe ,your progress so far is fantastic the still will be a testament to your no nonsence attitude ,something a few pollies could learn from instead of making exuses because they cannot get it done,looking forward ta seeing it finished.If ya leave finished copper stuff in a citric acid bath for a day or two it makes cleaning a lot easier.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Awesome build thread mate, your almost there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 am

Seriously impressive build mate. Love the ally sightglasses :-B

Have you slightly angled the sightglass branches? Lovely detail :happy-partydance:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Lowie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 pm

lostmarbles wrote:Thanks Lowie, I did try a hammered flange and I reckon it'd take fukn ages to get them right but doable. Thats when I tried making the die, the difference 2+ hrs hammered, 20 min from start to finish using the jenny & die per flange and they seal perfect first go. The one I did for a test I checked for flat by using bearing blue on a sheet of glass and clean up with acetone. 320grit wet & dry on a sheet of glass with water works good just to finish up, but you've probably already tried all that stuff anyway.
Cheers bluc the pistons are usually a high silicon aluminium I think and pretty hard as far as alloy goes. I figured it would be ok to use as its all external to the still and will clean up easy with some alloy cleaner.

Finally got the bastards to seal last night, had to do a bit of extra hammering and sanding on the RC flanges. Next challenge will be when my sight glasses turn up. Gotta be a bit more delicate with those!
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby lostmarbles » Sat May 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi everyone, been a while should have had everything up weeks ago, that time of year around here ~x( with cotton picking, mulching, working ground, spraying, watering ground, dry planting & fertilizing, and fixing broken shit that I haven't had any time for playing on the computer. So the still was finished about 5weeks ago and has done 5 runs of TPW neutral with another 200 L bubbling away, very nice drop and have tried half a dozen different essences. I am hoping to do my McRum wash tomorrow if it's still ok as I've had 55l sitting in the fermenter sealed up for 6 weeks. The only modifications I've had to do is drill an extra 70 holes in each perforated plate, going from about 190 to 260 1/16" holes, fully solder in the plates, resolder 3 of the J downcomers as they were not holding liquid and crimp the lower end of the J downcomer down to 1/2" open. I also had to add a 100 kPa constant pressure regulator for the condenser supply as the bore pump cycling was enough to stop flow from the parrot. Any way I'll continue on with the build with the photo's I have before that bitch gravity took over and broke my phone camera.
And thanks fellas for the comments. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Zak Griffin wrote:Seriously impressive build mate. Love the ally sightglasses :-B

Have you slightly angled the sightglass branches? Lovely detail :happy-partydance:

Thanks Zak, yes the sight glasses are angled. I use a free online template creator, made it real easy, here's the link http://harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php .

Lowie wrote:[Finally got the bastards to seal last night, had to do a bit of extra hammering and sanding on the RC flanges. Next challenge will be when my sight glasses turn up. Gotta be a bit more delicate with those!

Good to hear Lowie.

Anyway I'll continue where I left off.
20170420_171310.jpg

20170420_171318.jpg

20170420_171429.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lostmarbles

Postby lostmarbles » Sat May 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Next was to turn the keg into a boiler, so I borrowed a TIG and dug out the trusty plasma cutter. Been 28 years since I tig welded so the welds aren't that pretty.
20170423_104145.jpg

20170423_104206.jpg

20170423_104248.jpg

20170423_110432.jpg

20170423_123209.jpg

I didn't take as many photos as I thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lostmarbles

Postby lostmarbles » Sat May 27, 2017 11:18 pm

20170423_180229.jpg

Then I had to find a material to fill the packed section for neutral, so I decided to make cylindrical stainless gauze packing from the stainless gauze I already had. I made them about the same size as ceramic rachig rings 8mm id x 13mm long, knocked up a tool to make them and about 10hrs later :doh: I had a column full of packing. I used another piece of gauze at the bottom convex up to hold them there. They seem to work really well.
20170423_223954.jpg

20170423_224027.jpg

20170423_224037.jpg

20170423_224116.jpg
lostmarbles

Postby lostmarbles » Sat May 27, 2017 11:27 pm

More pics of column packing saga
20170423_224138.jpg

20170423_224147.jpg
:roll:
20170423_225525.jpg

20170423_231751.jpg
lostmarbles

Postby lostmarbles » Sun May 28, 2017 12:00 am

Ok it's assembled, I used 2 brass welch plugs and a piece of 2" for the element cover. I made the mistake of not having the boiler sitting dead flat and it got a sway up when it got to a rolling boil during the vinegar run, had to tie the top of the column back to the shelves with wire. Added 3 30cm legs before the sacrificial run.
20170425_041740.jpg

20170425_235822.jpg

I used dead mig welder for my power controller/meter housing, as well as a place to store any bits not being used. The internals are totally gutted out. I am using a Chinese 10kw power controller and power meter which is pretty accurate and works well. both bits were off eBay. The element is a 3600 w one off of Mac.
20170527_223123.jpg

20170503_014436.jpg

20170503_003014.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality, the camera is suffering the effects of a 5 meter fall.
lostmarbles

Postby lostmarbles » Sun May 28, 2017 12:23 am

These are the 2 major mods I did inside to get the plates to load properly at 2200 - 2400 w. Will see how they go on the McRum run.
20170527_223615.jpg

20170527_223602.jpg

And a couple of pics from one of the TPW neutral runs.
20170506_131823.jpg

20170506_131747.jpg

20170527_223818.jpg

Think I might have to try a CFW pretty soon.
lostmarbles

Postby lostmarbles » Mon May 29, 2017 1:29 am

Well the first rum run was a fail, puked into the first plate with only 30l charge & a dash of cooking oil. Smeared tails through most of it. Second run was better with 1l of hearts from 25l charge. It started into the first plate but I backed off the power by about 200w and it settled down again. I was using less power on the first run. Take off speed was the same on both runs too, about toothpick size stream :wtf: Everything came off at the 93% abv mark. So second gen is bubbling away now so we'll see what happens next time. I've read about rum washes puking.
Does lifting the first plate away from the boiler with a spacer help at all?
If it does would 550mm be too far? as that's the length of my packed section (emptied of course)
lostmarbles

Postby hillzabilly » Wed May 31, 2017 1:58 pm

I like what ya did with the staino gauze packing ,its outta the box Aussie thinkin like that wich inspires me to keep lookin for advancements or options we can all use ,ya certainly have not lost ya marbles in my mind 10 points mate.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Love your work mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The unpacked packed section underneath the plates might help... you may just have real pukey molasses though. If it keeps puking, set your still up as a pot still and strip straight into a keg or big glass jars. Let the bastard spew (within reason) and rerun the low wines through the bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby lostmarbles » Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Sounds like a plan Zak. I can get my hands on a lot of that molasses.
lostmarbles

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed May 31, 2017 3:01 pm

I had a batch of molasses that puked no matter what I did... set the old pot up to puke straight into the missus' good stainless saucepans, then i tipped it into the low wines keg. Produced some bloody tasty rum after a spirit run!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby lostmarbles » Wed May 31, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info Zak.

hillzabilly wrote:I like what ya did with the staino gauze packing ,its outta the box Aussie thinkin like that wich inspires me to keep lookin for advancements or options we can all use ,ya certainly have not lost ya marbles in my mind 10 points mate.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Thanks mate, I agonised over spending the time to make them. Came up with the idea after I tried rolling the stainless gauze as a sheet. I wanted something easy to clean that wouldn't go rank. They work exceptionally well, but have to say I have nothing else to compare them to either. I did find an article ( link follows) after much googling and well after I had made my packing, that some other smartass had come up with the same idea and done some research on them. They reckon if I've read the document right that they are up to 10% more efficient than Rashig rings. Oh well, at least I knew I hadn't wasted my time. I reckon if I had to do them again I'd knock up a little machine to make them, and also if they could be purchased for a reasonable price, they would definitely be worth a go.
Link to research paper "Ethanol separation efficiency in a packed distillation column" http://www.journalrepository.org/media/ ... Sj3175.pdf
lostmarbles

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:57 am

Wow reading that article made my brain hurt with some of the terminology,with staino mesh I see its advantages as it will not degrade over time and need replaceing like copper,and the copper can be over packed causeing a restriction and subsequent flooding problems were as with the staino mesh the whole packed section will have an even structure without areas of different compactness,thats a problem with copper knowing how tight to roll each section for best results,I did try 6mm rachi rings in the 4inch colomn but found it could not handle more than 2-3000wt with out flooding and 13mm saddles were not much better,was an expensive learning exersize.The only down side I see is the loss of sulphide removeal from staino compared ta copper ,but with your all copper rig I do not see that being a problem.cheers hillzabilly ;-)PS try googleing prismatic packing if ya like a good read.
hillzabilly

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre