Hi from Sydney

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Sydney

Postby mrrx13b » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:47 am

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, have been looking around a bit and decided it was time to join and say hi.

Looking forward to the advice and wisdom that you all have to offer.

Currently located in Sydney NSW.

I am looking to start distilling rakija aka slivovit/ plum brandy legally but on a very small scale, as I've recently been granted permission to import/possess a 45L copper pot still. Being from a Serbian background, it is traditional to make your own. I have my grand dads still but time to upgrade to abit bigger haha.

The plan is to make it in its traditional way, i.e only using fruit, no sugars or yeast.

Using a full copper still with thumper, any feed back, suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mrrx
mrrx13b

equipment: Copper Pot Still

Re: Hi from Sydney

Postby tipsy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:54 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby WTDist » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:03 am

Welcome mate

Sounds like you have a good plan of attack already :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby mrrx13b » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks for the welcome guys.
mrrx13b

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:42 am

Welcome mate, will be interesting to hear your endeavors of making small quantities legally.

I reckon your in for more than you bargained for :-|
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WTDist » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

mrrx13b wrote:Hey Guys,I am looking to start distilling rakija aka slivovit/ plum brandy legally but on a very small scale, as I've recently been granted permission to import/possess a 45L copper pot still. Being from a Serbian background, it is traditional to make your own. I have my grand dads still but time to upgrade to abit bigger haha.

Im curious how it is legal. Does the government grant you the right to distill legally because it is part of your cultural background/rights?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby mrrx13b » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:58 am

WTDist wrote:
mrrx13b wrote:Hey Guys,I am looking to start distilling rakija aka slivovit/ plum brandy legally but on a very small scale, as I've recently been granted permission to import/possess a 45L copper pot still. Being from a Serbian background, it is traditional to make your own. I have my grand dads still but time to upgrade to abit bigger haha.

Im curious how it is legal. Does the government grant you the right to distill legally because it is part of your cultural background/rights?

It will be legal in the sense that I will be applying to obtain a distilling license.

The first step is to apply to be allowed to import and possess a still. I have since been given permission to do as mentioned above but am not allowed to distill, only allowed to import and have a still in my possession.

The next step is to set up the still and meet all the requirements required in the distilling application and submit it. Upon this application being granted one is then allowed to distill and required to do all necessary record keeping, as well as paying excise on the alcohol one sells.

In a nut shell I will be doing the same things required by a commercial distiller but on a much smaller scale.
mrrx13b

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:03 am

I hope you're not planning on making any money out of selling sugarless, wild yeast fermented Sliv made in a 45L still? Good luck with it all though.

And welcome to the forums! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby mrrx13b » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 am

Zak Griffin wrote:I hope you're not planning on making any money out of selling sugarless, wild yeast fermented Sliv made in a 45L still? Good luck with it all though.

And welcome to the forums! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Why do you say that
mrrx13b

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:13 am

Because of the time and effort involved in making the stuff just for personal consumption, let alone the work involved in making and selling it legally. I trust you've talks to other commercial craft distillers about your plans?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby mrrx13b » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:26 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Because of the time and effort involved in making the stuff just for personal consumption, let alone the work involved in making and selling it legally. I trust you've talks to other commercial craft distillers about your plans?

This is a side project / hobby, not something I would be doing full time.

The process of making it and selling it is not something I consider to be much work or that involved.

Yes there are a number of requirements that have to be met, but if your producing less then 100,000 litres a year (with I most definitely will be) is not that hard, then taking into account that the industrial factory that I have available isn't going to cost me anything and the fruit I get is free.
mrrx13b

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:30 am

I look forward to seeing your success :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby mrrx13b » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:42 am

Zak Griffin wrote:I look forward to seeing your success :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Was there much sarcasm included in that.

Understand, its not like I just woke up one morning and decided yeah im going to distill alcohol and make millions and be rich (far from it).

I have done a lot of research into this, my full time profession is a lawyer so its not like im not realistic. Also its something that my family has done for generations, not in Australia obviously and produced for the there whole village yearly.

Admittedly, yeah im only starting with a 45l still because I plan to start small and in a perfect world if things went well then naturally everything would get bigger.

I guess not every one has to like the idea but its the risk I run, and any mistakes will be my own.
mrrx13b

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 am

Honestly no sarcasm intended mate, if you can viably run a commercial operation part time with a 50L pot, I think it will open up an entire new world of craft distilleries in this country :D
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby mrrx13b » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Honestly no sarcasm intended mate, if you can viably run a commercial operation part time with a 50L pot, I think it will open up an entire new world of craft distilleries in this country :D

Oh ok cool, hard to tell sometimes on the computer haha.

I understand that the amount I produce in the beginning will be small. Also the fact that I will not need to pay rent or for the produce is a BIG bonus.

Aswell starting with a 45L Still, the outlays are quire small, which limits the risk in the event it fails completely.

But of the product that is produced and if sold in a reasonable time and come out ahead after expenses, it is something that has the possibility of growing (slowly im sure) over time.

Also it is more a niche market, not something that everyone would want, but the people targeted would be people form Slavic / Baulkin countries where this there every day drink lol.
mrrx13b

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Good to hear,good luck mate.
Keep us informed how you go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Return to Welcome Centre