Hi TPW first timer

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi TPW first timer

Postby PHANTMXR6 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello all.

First time TPW for me. Followed the recipe on the first page to the letter.

I'm impatient haha.

My wash has finished fermenting. It's been down for 7 days and has a SG between 980-990.

I know I'm meant to wait for another week or two for it to clear itself more, but will I do any harm running it tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.
PHANTMXR6

equipment: Pure Distilling kit

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Cheersbigears » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:59 pm

No not all but you will get a better product if you wait. Well I did but I was like you had to distill it but put another straight down so you can let the next one sit.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Re: Hi TPW first timer

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

PHANTMXR6 wrote:Hello all.

First time TPW for me. Followed the recipe on the first page to the letter.

I'm impatient haha.

My wash has finished fermenting. It's been down for 7 days and has a SG between 980-990.

I know I'm meant to wait for another week or two for it to clear itself more, but will I do any harm running it tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.

I have moved your first post to the welcome area ;-)

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You will only get a bit of yeasty flavour carry over, some like the taste and some don't. Its all up to what you like.
:D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby PHANTMXR6 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks guys. Might leave it for another week for the school holidays then get it done.

I just bought a pair of 30L fermenters for the next two batches of wash to start fermenting.
PHANTMXR6

Postby Kenster » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 pm

phant... if u drag it off a bit slower, only the vapour(alc) will be drawn off... not all the other shit/solids that happens to be in the boiler.
when the old wog boys, (my dad and his mates) did a fruit wash all the skins,and dreggsy stuff was put into the wash/boiler... guess what came out... clear booze.... all this 'wait till it settles ' stuff can be a bit over the top..really, it is just to prevent all the burning flavours if it cooks onto the internal element/s.
Strictly speaking... i ts better to wait... but... it aint the gospel.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:06 am

The reason we let a wash settle, or 'clear', especially for a neutral, is because the suspended solids in the wash will impart some flavour into the product. We're not worried about yeast and shit in the final product, the only way that can happen is if your still pukes.

You're doing good Phantom, and welcome to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:12 am

Kenster wrote:phant... if u drag it off a bit slower, only the vapour(alc) will be drawn off... not all the other shit/solids that happens to be in the boiler.
when the old wog boys, (my dad and his mates) did a fruit wash all the skins,and dreggsy stuff was put into the wash/boiler... guess what came out... clear booze.... all this 'wait till it settles ' stuff can be a bit over the top..really, it is just to prevent all the burning flavours if it cooks onto the internal element/s.
Strictly speaking... i ts better to wait... but... it aint the gospel.

I'm with Zak here.

Yeah it might come off clear from the still but you can get some awful clear product.

Can't compare grappa to nuetrel ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby PHANTMXR6 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Well I'll be doing a stripping run this weekend.
Not sure how I drag it off slower as there is no speed dial on my setup. lol

Will see how I go and report back next week.
PHANTMXR6

Postby sp0rk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:59 pm

PHANTMXR6 wrote:Well I'll be doing a stripping run this weekend.
Not sure how I drag it off slower as there is no speed dial on my setup. lol

Will see how I go and report back next week.

By using a voltage controller if you have a boiler with electric elements
A lower power input means it will still boil, however less vigorously and less evaporation, hence slower
If you're on gas, just turn the gas down
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby PHANTMXR6 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:05 pm

Don't have a voltage controller unfortunately.

I just hope my Pure Distilling condenser is capable of a stripping run...
PHANTMXR6

Postby Kenster » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Phant...get onto fleabay and suss out a voltage controller.... under 20 bucks.. WELL worth it as can control the rate at which u can take off...less voltage = less vigorous boil = better control .U will eventually need one...
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby PHANTMXR6 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Well stripping run with no cooling was a fail. Puked all over the wall. :puke-huge:

Had to hook up the cooling lines and ran it as per normal.

Yield was approx. 7.5L @ 40% by the time I watered it down for a second run.

Final yield was probably just under 7L @ 40%.

Two fresh 25L batches of TPW were put down this morning also.

Next time I run I'll be trying to do cuts, if I get organised in time..

Anyone care to share their recommendations for a voltage controller arrangement?

I have a 30L Pure Distilling kit with their branded Beer Me Boiler. It has a 2000W element.
PHANTMXR6

Postby Plumby » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Why didn't you have your cooling water on when you turned the still on mate? No cooling water means ethanol vapour coming out, which means you have a potentially explosive and deadly situation. I turn my water on first then the still, have never run my still with the water off even though the instructions say you don't have to turn the water on until the thermometer reads 50 degrees. Also tomato past jars make great cut jars, so do pickle jars :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby PHANTMXR6 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Plumby wrote:Why didn't you have your cooling water on when you turned the still on mate? No cooling water means ethanol vapour coming out, which means you have a potentially explosive and deadly situation. :

I asked the question of a colleague and he said no need for cooling....

Maybe for some condensers but clearly not for the Pure Distilling one.

Never mind. Live an learn I guess.
PHANTMXR6

Postby Plumby » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:07 pm

I find that very hard to believe mate, if you have no cooling water how do you condense the ethanol vapour?
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby PHANTMXR6 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Plumby wrote:I find that very hard to believe mate, if you have no cooling water how do you condense the ethanol vapour?

No idea. Different condensers work differently I guess?
PHANTMXR6

Postby coffe addict » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Did you have no water at all or just no water to the reflux condenser with water still going to the product condenser?

Because if you had no water at all then you are turning the immediate vicinity into a bomb! All it takes is a spark and your garage explodes!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Plumby » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:37 pm

The only still that uses no water is an air still. If it has connections for hoses it needs water to condense the vapour regardless of the condensor type. Mabey your colleague was wrong.
Plumby

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:47 pm

Your mate was probably talking about a still that has a seperate RC or reflux condencer and a seperate PC or product condencer,the RC if your still had seperate one(wich it does not ,it uses the same condencer for reflux and product) is not used when stripping ,for your still stripping would be achieved by opening the product output valve flat out and haveing cooling water running flat out too,in my opinion .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Your still is a LM plz read this viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117 for a bit more info.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Next

Return to Welcome Centre