G'day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day

Postby Swifty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:55 pm

G'day all

Thanks for letting me in!

I'm still pretty new to the whole homebrewing and distilling scene. I dove headfirst into homebrewing and have bought myself a Robobrew and am doing some all grain beers. Distilling has always interested me so I was glad I found this forum. I do enjoy whisky neat as well as bourbons and rums with a mixer.

Looking forward to filling my knowledge void and hopefully producing some tasty spirits.

Cheers

Swifty
Swifty

equipment: Robobrew - no still yet

Re: G'day

Postby Sparrow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Gday mate,

Welcome to the passion, it's bloody addictive!

If you drink your whisky/whiskey neat you'll want either a pot still or a bubbler. The reflux type stills that produce neutrals you add flavorings to are only drinkable as mixers in my books.

Enjoy your stay here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby Sam. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A rough location in your profile will help us help you as well ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby j0sh2008 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

There is some great posts and heaps of things to learn on here
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby Swifty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Sparrow: thanks for the advice. I am pondering what setup I will choose. I was about to grab an alembic dome for my Robobrew but a seemingly knowledgeable poster on the forum suggested to another novice to avoid an alembic dome on a grainfather or robobrew as these really only have a 25-30L capacity which it likely to be frustrating in terms of yield. It seems a lot of people cut their teeth on a pot still and then "graduate" to a bubbler. I see value in that so am thinking maybe the 4" modular would be a good start for me..... with a 50L or bigger keg?

Sam: you're right! I'm a Brisbane lad.

Josh: agreed. I've started diving down the wormholes of threads and am trying to learn as much as I can!

Thanks again all

Swifty
Swifty

Postby Nino » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Swifty wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Sparrow: thanks for the advice. I am pondering what setup I will choose. I was about to grab an alembic dome for my Robobrew but a seemingly knowledgeable poster on the forum suggested to another novice to avoid an alembic dome on a grainfather or robobrew as these really only have a 25-30L capacity which it likely to be frustrating in terms of yield. It seems a lot of people cut their teeth on a pot still and then "graduate" to a bubbler. I see value in that so am thinking maybe the 4" modular would be a good start for me..... with a 50L or bigger keg?

Sam: you're right! I'm a Brisbane lad.

Josh: agreed. I've started diving down the wormholes of threads and am trying to learn as much as I can!

Thanks again all

Swifty

Welcome to the forum :). I have just bought a Robobrew which I hope to make single malts with. If you have been brewing then you are already half way to making a good single malt.
I started with a 4" modular still and then started buying the other pieces to make a 5 plate bubbler with a packed section, which makes very good clean neutrals.

Regards,
Nino :)
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Swifty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks Nino.

Do you make whiskies on your bubbler or mainly neutrals now?

Cheers
Swifty

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Welcome Mate, check out the robobrew manufacturers site for a domed lid and get a FSD adapter, make or buy a pot head and you'll be making whisky in no time. While your saving all those $ by making you own start thinking about a bubbler. FSD gear is hard to beat, very well made. What Model do you have? I have been using the first model for a while now, mainly for Whisky with a few beers thrown. :handgestures-thumbupleft: in
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Nino » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Swifty wrote:Thanks Nino.

Do you make whiskies on your bubbler or mainly neutrals now?

Cheers

I have made mainly neutrals I have tried a couple of single malts with varying success. I hope to make better single malts now that I have bought the Robobrew.
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Swifty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 pm

G'day TasSpirits

Are you referring to the stainless steel lid for the robobrew? If so, thanks, I hadn't seen that before. I have the newer model with built-in pump. It goes pretty well. Just got to get a still sorted now then!

Nino: I find it pretty easy to use. Enjoy!

Cheers
Swifty

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Thats the one Mate, you need to buy the seal separately. the FSD adaptor fits well, make sure you order 2 x 2" epdm/silicone seals with the adaptor as well then all you need is the pothead and your laughing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Swifty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 am

Sparrow wrote:Gday mate,

Welcome to the passion, it's bloody addictive!

If you drink your whisky/whiskey neat you'll want either a pot still or a bubbler. The reflux type stills that produce neutrals you add flavorings to are only drinkable as mixers in my books.

Enjoy your stay here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hey Sparrow.

I don't have private messages privileges (yet!?) so can't read your message.

Cheers
Swifty

Postby woodduck » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi swifty :greetings-waveyellow: welcome aboard.

Looks like your on the right track mate, the more you read the more you learn around here. Just be careful your brain doesn't pop :laughing-rolling: I sware mine did when I first started.

Only advice I can give is don't be in a hurry, take your time and weigh up your options and I'm sure you'll get something that suits you.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Welcome Swifty.

A modular pot on a 50 litre boiler is a great way to go with "brown" spirits and being modular you can upgrade to to a bubbler bit by bit if you feel you need to. Just remember there's plenty of people making top notch whiskies and rums with just a pot still so how far you go is entirely up to you.

You can always put a modular pot on your robobrew then add a bigger boiler later. Just watch the weight of whatever pot you choose as they can make those small 30l boilers into a topple hazard due to the offset weight distribution caused by the condenser. I made a 2" swan out of triclamp parts to counteract that and it works a treat.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Swifty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 pm

That sounds like some solid advice. Thanks Prof.
Swifty

Postby Swifty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 pm

And thank you Woodduck too!
Swifty

Postby Johno86 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 am

Welcome Swifty :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Johno86

equipment: 4' japcrap glass bubbler