Greetings and salutations...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Greetings and salutations...

Postby lostmarbles » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Looking good mate.
lostmarbles

equipment: Pure distilling kit - gone after first use.
50l keg boiler & modular perforated plate 4" with reflux section.

Postby scythe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Well look what i found, an update... From January.
I was going to sit down and tell you all about what i got up to this long weekend and typed out a bit of stuff on my phone, saved the draft and then loaded it on the PC only to find the January draft.
Now i need to dig through all my photos and find the story i was telling last time...

Picture heavy

Jan update:
Got told the other day that my workshop is being moved 150km away to a new town so i need to get a wriggle on and get this bubbler finished to a point it can start producing. (this never really happened)
I can get my boiler welded up at some point in the future by my boily friend so its the still i need to really focus on.

The other week my delivery of 3/8" tube arrived so i coiled up a ring or 2 (22 to be precise)
Why so many i hear you ask, i made some for Bluc as well, and there are always a few that just come out wrong.

I cut my coils, deburred and soldered the ends together and cleaned up the excess solder.

Chopped up my 4" into module sizes, i went with 4x 120mm (on the shorter side i know) module heights and a 200mm blockhead module to work with the length of 4" i had.
I squared up the ends in the lathe using the 2-piece sleeve i made when i reworked my RC.

Split 580mm of 2" up one side annealed it with the oxy and flattened it for use as plates (after i muffed up the spacing on the last ones i made).
I should be able to get 6 plates from this, which will give me enough to use the 4 modules i have cut now and an extra for the 5th module i want to make later as well as a plate i can use as a lid for my blockhead (for when i want to use it as gin caddy).

I also machined the ID and OD of my branch forming tool.
Then took it over to our little CNC mill to maching a radius into the end face of my machined tube.
Looks good...
Nek minit, wrong...
Got some of my math wrong and it cut a larger radius that i thought it would.
So i corrected my mistake and got it to come out so it was a neat fit on my 4" pipe.

With the above in hand i did this (at this point the pipe is in its natural hard state):
and then scribed a line around my pipe following the contour of the tool.
Roughed it down with a file:
swapped over to a smoother half round file to finish it off:

Now this is where some sane people may stop, i am not one of them.
My plan is to make a flanged branch pipe out of 2" that i will soft solder to the side of my 4" blockhead module, the trick will be that the flanged end will also be profiled to fit the 4" OD, giving me a much stronger bond of the join over just a regular butt joint which i will need as i am going to use soft solder.
So i started to flare it out like you would for an easy flange (after i spent about 5mins worth of gas heating it up to anneal it with my pencil tipped propane burner):
at this point it started to work harden too much for my pliars so i put it down until another day.

That other day was this weekend

Did you guys know that there is usually a pretty well set up workshop in your kitchen?!?!
My one come complete with pre-heating and annealing station as well as a quenching trough, score!
Anneal 1:
Image <-- after 2 mins
and into the kitchen si... i mean quenching trough.

Then i put it in my little mandrel and gave it a bash with the rounded end of my ball-pein hammer.

Which gave me anneal 2:
And another bash in my mandrel, this time with a bit of 3" chrome bar i have, would have used 4" but i don't have any (yet!)

Came out pretty close:

this afternoon i decided to see how it would look on my blockhead/gin caddy:

Obviously nothing is soldered together just sitting there to see how it will look.
This is the plan so far, and at this point i'm reasonably happy with how it all looks.
hopefully its no so long before the next update.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Looks awesome great work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Good stuff mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Nothing like a bit of motivation to get the job done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Those flared ends should give you heaps of surface area for the join, plus I reckon you should a call her honest Abe, because the pic on the “annealing station” ( :laughing-rolling: )looks like a top hat :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Looks fastastic! I did something similar to you for my blockhead only not as well executed 8-}

Yours will be plenty strong enough with soft solder.
db1979

equipment: 4" 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates) on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Virtually retired: 2" 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses) on a 7.6L boiler (SS stock pot with SS mixing bowl lid), 2000 W.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Looking good mate :clap:
Sam.
Site Admin

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers
Italian Spiral burner with HP reg.

Postby scythe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 am

Thanks guys.
It was actually your idea that got me thinking about this type of connection DB.

Before the next time i make the flare on some 2" like this for my sight glasses i will have to make up an internal support that slides in the ID of the pipe.
This should stop the ID shrinking due to the bending.
Will need to modify the current mandrel a bit however, so that the inner support is locked into position and does not move around when bashing, i mean forming the copper.

And i will have to make it in such a way that the copper can actually come out if it gets burred up in there somehow.
But that is future me's problem.

Might also have to make up a different die for the 2" flanges so they are like the 4".
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre