Hi Guys

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi Guys

Postby mojoz » Sat May 18, 2019 8:50 am

mojoz from WA here

I brought a Turbo 500 about 4 years back and thrashed it hard, made a few slip ups and learned from them and eventually made some interesting brews.
Spent a fortunes on flavorings, woods chips etc and was very happy with my output.
I ran the first brew's cooling from the kitchen taps, and after realizing how much water was needed to keep the system cool i changed my plans as i live in the country and rely on water tanks and could not afford to waste so much water.
So i brought a 40 liter sturdy plastic storage tub and a aquarium water pump, then an extra chest freezer and went into the ice making business. I half filled the tub with water added an ice block and ran the intake from the still from that and away i went and it worked perfectly.
After a couple of years i gave it a rest as i had other stuff to do and i was not short of vodka, but now it's time to to dust of the cobwebs and start up again and after finding this website might learn some new tricks.
mojoz

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Hi Guys

Postby Sam. » Sat May 18, 2019 9:56 am

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You will definitely find many new ideas here for you to try ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Sat May 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi mojoz, welcome to the forum. Even though you’ve been distilling for a while there’s a lot of great info in the newbies corner that will help you.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Welcome mojoz.

Great thing about this hobby is that there is always something new to learn and tere’s heaps of experienced folks on this forum from whom to learn.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RC Al » Sat May 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Welcome mate

The ice setup sounds a bit excessive and expensive, I am in a similar situation water wise, have had no issues with recirculating back to the water tank, the large volume of water is a good heat sink
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby andybear » Sun May 19, 2019 9:01 am

Hi Mojoz , welcome to the best distilling site for Aussies. As your spending a fortune on flavours,maybe it's time to look at fermenting something other than white sugar and getting a different setup to run it through. The flavours that you can get are amazing . Enjoy your journey.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby woodduck » Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 am

G'day mate and welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm sure you'll learn plenty here mate.

:text-+1: on the recirculation into one of your rain water tanks. That's what I do.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dans.brew » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 am

Welcome mate and glad to hear your getting back into what it is a very rewarding hobby. :greetings-waveyellow:
A few slip ups is all apart of the journey to a top drop.. we've all had them.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby mojoz » Thu May 23, 2019 1:33 am

RC Al wrote:Welcome mate

The ice setup sounds a bit excessive and expensive, I am in a similar situation water wise, have had no issues with recirculating back to the water tank, the large volume of water is a good heat sink

that's a good idea, problem is my water tank is at the opposite side of the house and that's a fair bit of plumbing, but definitely worth looking into, thanks
mojoz

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Sam. » Thu May 23, 2019 8:10 am

Garden hose and submersible pumps are relatively cheap :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre