Greetings

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings

Postby Andrew James » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi all, Andrew here. I am very new to the distilling world. I am in the process of building my first still. It is a converted keg with the column consisting on shop bought an homemade parts. Looks like i have a lot of posts to read before i go any further in my build. Looking forward to getting started.
Andrew James

equipment: homemade [halfway built]

Re: Greetings

Postby Arismac » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:31 pm

G'day Andrew and welcome. First thing is to spend some hours reading the many, many informative threads in this forum. Next ask questions. No charge for questions. Finally accept good advice, it can save you a lot of money and time as well as getting you a result that you can boast about.
Last edited by Arismac on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby The Stig » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:33 pm

G’Day Andrew.
I can’t improve on the post by Mr Arismac, very well said sire :-B
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby woodduck » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

Enjoy the new hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Andrew James » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks everyone, Firstly getting my head around the different terms is a challenge. I had a look at the glossary of terms which is very helpful. Next is what poeple think of using gas instead of using elements. I will keep searching for the answers to these questions. I will share some pics of where im at with the build when i work out how to do that.
Andrew James

Postby Arismac » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:50 pm

The source of heat is really not an issue. Gas or electricity is fine, providing you can raise the temperature of the wash and maintain that temperature for a period of time. The critical factor is controlling the temperature of the condenser. Even the, often maligned T500, just raises the temperature of the wash above 100C. This produces vapour (steam). The purpose of the still is to condense (return to liquid) the ethanol component of the steam.

So it is the ability of the still to be able to control the temperature of the condenser not the heat source for the wash that is critical. As long as the heat source will raise the temperature of the wash to above 100C and keep it there for distillation period that is all that's needed. Use gas by all means it normally costs less.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby The Stig » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Gas goes bang really easy.
Electric element won’t go bang as easy
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby andybear » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:05 am

Using gas will mean an uncontrolled fire if you have a leak. My bubbler will burp every time I put it into pot mode when each tray dries up, this sends about 50 - 100mls flying through the air. If this was to land on or near the flame I'd be in trouble. But I use electric. ( yes I have a breather)
If your going to go gas have a fire blanket and extinguisher about 5 metres away from your still. And be very safe, check for leaks often.
Actually we should all have the fire blanket and extinguisher. It's just that with electric we probably will never need them.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby woodduck » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:04 am

Something's not right there Andy, I don't think it should be doing that? :think:

Gas is fine you just need to be very careful with the fire risk.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:04 pm

Also with gas you have to be careful running indoors carbon monoxide low oxyegyn etc..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Andrew James » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info, i have cut off the bottom third of another keg and tig welded it to the bottom of my still. This is to retain heat. I have some air holes and an opening for the burner. I have chosen gas over element for the first build due to it being a little easier. The second build will be electric and i will use the better of the two. I have welded a 4" ferrule into the top of the keg to run a 4" column. No drain on this one. I have seen others use the standard 2" that the keg already has and they add another ferrule for filling and cleaning. To keep it simple i just use the one opening for everything. This is what i have thought would be the best way to go, however i will have to use the still to know if it works. Just need some more funds to purchase the the rest of the column and i will be underway.
Andrew James

Return to Welcome Centre