Good day y'all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Good day y'all

Postby Thrudd » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm

Thanks Wellsy!

I managed to get the squat 30l keg. I agree with the "cost" and related "concealed boiler" points that you raised that i didnt consider... esp the auto-shut off. Interesting... :think:

With regards to cost, it really depends on whether i weld or not I guess. Is there a forum location that i have missed where we can see if there are any electricians and welders that are available that people have used before? that would be pretty handy.

Talking about building a keg and electricians... I didnt even consider that ramifications of using 2x 2400w elements on the same line... (hence the question above :)) )

Wellsy wrote:I am not trying to confuse you, just want to make sure you have considered all sides of the equation.

No, no confusion, that is why I am here, passionate to learn what i can, when i can.
Thrudd

equipment: Sadly, none as of yet as I am just starting out into the hobby, but I am looking at the T500, Air Still Pro or Vevor stills. Also looking to make spirits only, esp the big 4 (whiskey/bourbon, rum, vodka & gin) so reflux and pot distilling.

Postby Wellsy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 am

Another point to consider on the squat keg is how much wash or low wines that needs to be left after the run is finished on a 50 litre milk can you need 10 to 11 litres to keep the bottom element covered and 17 - 18 to keep the top element covered. My understanding is the 30 litre keg is very similar to the 50 in dimensions, so you may only be able to use both elements when you are heating up the wash or low wines at the start.
Not sure on the output of a 30 litre boiler but would be worth considering.
No section has a list of still builders mate, others in your area my pass on their contacts privately if they are known
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Thrudd » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 pm

You raise yet another interesting point.

Believe it or not, but after i got hold of it i was thinking, that regardless of its literage, that its the same diameter of the 50l, so its not like i can lower the element or increase the level of wash above it any differently than the 50l!

So yeah, i would need to get a smaller diameter beer keg in order to do this, but i know nothing of their dimensions and how to modify it for a boiler (and also the considerations of stability that you raised in the previous reply) as of yet.

Oh well, at least i can on-sell it easily... :D
Thrudd

equipment: Sadly, none as of yet as I am just starting out into the hobby, but I am looking at the T500, Air Still Pro or Vevor stills. Also looking to make spirits only, esp the big 4 (whiskey/bourbon, rum, vodka & gin) so reflux and pot distilling.

Postby Thrudd » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm

Wellsy wrote:No section has a list of still builders mate, others in your area my pass on their contacts privately if they are known

Thats a bummer... it would be nice to have someone that can be contacted. :cry:
Thrudd

Postby Wellsy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 am

Don’t be in a rush to sell it mate as it makes a fantastic storage vessel. Either for aging or low wines. Once you get a 50 ltr boiler ( one day ) you will be looking for a good storage vessel and the 20 litre and 30 litre kegs are great for that but not as common as the 50.
The issue with a 50 ltr kegs is that they are heavy to lift when they are full, and if you want to age in them they take forever to fill.
How far down that rabbit hole have we dug so far :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:59 am

G'Day Thrudd :handgestures-thumbupleft: Welcome to the forum and that rabbit hole mate where with the forum you have a great resource where just about everything is here for you to learn :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now what hasn't been said as yet a beer keg outlet does fit a 2" triclamp and with using say a 2 or 3 ring LPG burner and a 9 kg gas bottle all you need now is a still to connect to it and your good to go and do your first sacrificial run :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Go have a look at the soft soldering on the forum and you can make your first pot still out of copper fittings and some copper pipe. Now do go 4" NOT 2" if you are going this way and you won't regret it :handgestures-thumbupleft: By the time you have made some easy flanges your confidence will be right up there so do have a look at the shotgun condensors as once one is made one will never look back.

Now just to confuse you :laughing-rolling: go have a read about making frustums and grab some scrap copper and a blow torch and have a go at making your own reducers etc. Just be aware working with copper will get addictive :scared-eek: and there is no cure :laughing-rolling: as when that first 2-4" reducer is made a copper funnel and everything else one needs is just a bit of heating and many taps with a soft hammer away ( oh and that blow torch) as one does need to anneal the copper to work with it.

So mate that's enough info for now and I'm sure that rabbit hole has just gotten a whole heap deeper where working in this hobby is a lot more than just putting a wash down and distilling. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Thrudd » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:02 pm

Wellsy wrote:Don’t be in a rush to sell it mate as it makes a fantastic storage vessel. Either for aging or low wines. Once you get a 50 ltr boiler ( one day ) you will be looking for a good storage vessel and the 20 litre and 30 litre kegs are great for that but not as common as the 50.
The issue with a 50 ltr kegs is that they are heavy to lift when they are full, and if you want to age in them they take forever to fill.

Didnt even think of that... :o thats a great idea, just buy a triclamp, seal and cap and im good to go!

Wellsy wrote:How far down that rabbit hole have we dug so far :laughing-rolling:

Ummm well i thought i had a bit of a handle on it, then i saw Bryan post... and yeah, i didnt understand alot of it... :laughing-rolling: Certainly not in Kansas anymore, thats for sure!
Thrudd

Postby Thrudd » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:09 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Thrudd :handgestures-thumbupleft: Welcome to the forum and that rabbit hole mate where with the forum you have a great resource where just about everything is here for you to learn :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wont lie, my brain hurts now lol!

But seriously, thanks for the input, I will definitely look this soldering thread up - must have missed it, so much info here!

I have watched Jessie from Still It doing some of his work... looks interesting. I have access to a blow torch, but i dont think it is compatible for a MAP gas cylinder (thinking about SS soldering) but would work with copper. I see Bunnings has some gear, but with regards to copper, i cannot location any scrap yard that will part with their stuff, they only buy scrap. Makes it hard to create stuff and Bunnings doesnt have much in that regard.

RuddyCrazy wrote:So mate that's enough info for now and I'm sure that rabbit hole has just gotten a whole heap deeper where working in this hobby is a lot more than just putting a wash down and distilling. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan

Sure has! But thats why we all are here i guess :d
Thrudd

Postby WoodyD40 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:29 am

Hi Thrud

I have just joined the forum myself (Melbourne eastern suburbs) and have the air still for about 2 months already.

Last weekend I bought the 65 litre boiler from kegland, with the reflux head. I added a 2' sight glass at the base so I could 'see' if it starts to boil over. I would suggest to go with the upgraded lid option with the built in 3' sight glass, as the column feels very flimsy and unstable. (will be my next upgrade).
WoodyD40
Site Donor

equipment: Air Still
65l Alcoengine Boiler with Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil)

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre