Hello and Advice Wanted

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello and Advice Wanted

Postby nzsassy1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Good Day to all
Sitting in Halifax Nova Scotia early Sunday morning, minus 14, 20-30 cms of snow expected, storm force winds and travel advisory of stay off the roads. Should be in Melbourne https://www.facebook.com/PuntToursMelbourne?fref=ts for the worst of winter but $ 3650.00 for short term visa makes it all but impossible. So winter will be spent renovating an old house and piling logs on the fire. I've lived in OZ. Wonderful downtown Mount Newman, Perth when it was little more than a town and the road to Adelaide was often a bush track of one's choosing. I was also lucky enough to spend time over the ditch in Christchurch, before the quakes Always wanted a still and have a 52" piece of three inch, 32" piece of 2", and 48 inches of 1 1/4" copper. I also have a lovely 60 year old stainless steel milk can but it is only 5 gallon. Thinking in the 11-12 gallon range, as it is a hobby, and not the route to affordable alcoholism. Have most tools, even a mig with gas, next door neighbour is a plumber, and brother in law is machinist. When it comes to still building I am one of the blessed. What would you build? Really appreciate any comments. Only real restriction is 8' height.
Cheers

Colin
nzsassy1

equipment: Boka 3"

Re: Hello and Advice Wanted

Postby Brendan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:32 am

Hey Colin,

Welcome to the forum mate. :greetings-waveyellow:

You'll have to let us know what kind of drop you want to make, as that will determine your still of choice. Also the amount you want to put into the hobby (money/time/blood/sweat/tears)...I would make a bubbler/plated column, but that may not be for you.

If you are just starting out in the hobby, and want to make a few different flavoured products, well a simple pot still will be the place to start. For a neutral/vodka, there are quite a few designs which are more complicated to achieve this. And if you want the best of both worlds and really want to get deep into the hobby, then a bubbler may be just your thing.
Have a look around the forum, and compare the difficulty of building a pot still vs. a bubbler, and see if its something you're up for.

Good luck in your distilling journey, and keep warm over there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Re: Hello and Advice Wanted

Postby Sam. » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:51 am

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: on everything Brendan said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre