hello to you all -HELP

Say Hi and introduce yourself

hello to you all -HELP

Postby iamskippy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:59 pm

This year we went to France and was given "home made" Limoncello. I was in heaven.
I have a recipe, but cannot buy "clear spring grain alcohol" 190 proof in South Australia
I have very limited ideas on distilling and have no equipment. I cannot afford a virtual professional system.
I am nearly 70 year old, hence I don't buy green bananas anymore.
I have been brewing (albeit - Coopers) for 30 years.
Any help really appreciated.
Regards,
Allan
iamskippy

equipment: As yet, I know nothing and have nothing for distilling.
I would like to make a tasteless alchohol to make limoncello for summer and more predominantly to make those with some flavour.
From what I have read, I think a "pot still" would possibly be best.21eo

Re: hello to you all -HELP

Postby Frothwizard » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Well for what you want, you'll be wanting a Reflux Still for starters, which is a bit more involved than your basic pot still.

Getting a high ABV% that's 'tasteless' requires a super clean distill at a higher ABV than most pot stills can afford you.

Downside: Reflux stills are more expensive.

Perhaps keep an eye on the For Sale section of the forum: viewforum.php?f=14

..and you may just snag a bargain.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Welcome to the forums, Skip.

You will want a reflux still to make limoncello... A pot still won't produce the clean, 190 proof spirit that you need.

Your brewing experience and equipment will come in handy, the fermentation process is the same...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:44 pm

hi allan

my family has made limoncello for a few years with normal vodka.
the recipe we use is:
zest of 8 lemons
1lt vodka
combine and store in a dark place for 30 days
add 250grams of sugar
shake every day until sugar is dissolved
strain into clean bottle.

its 10 times better then any pre-made limoncello bottles. give it a go and see what you think. it might be a bit more of a "yellow banana" for you instead of starting to distil.

but there is grain alcohol at dan murphys- i think adelaide. south Australia will sell it as well. the link is provided below.
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_905 ... t-95-500ml
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby SBB » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:35 pm

Dan Murphys sell a very high proof ethanol / vodka type substance, which should be perfect for the job its up around 85-90%abv, its a bit pricy but should be ok if you only want to make small amounts of Lemoncello, I forget the name of the stuff but the staff should be able to help you.
Edit: this is the gear here , its higher than I thought, they claim 95%.
This amount will go a fair way, should get you almost 2L of lemoncello from memory, look around at a few recipes, they are many and varied.
The one on this forum works well in my opinion, Quality and type of lemon makes a difference to the end product. Ive also read that using "just ripe" lemons works better , but have yet to try that myself.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Smbjk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Andy wrote:hi allan

my family has made limoncello for a few years with normal vodka.
the recipe we use is:
zest of 8 lemons
1lt vodka
combine and store in a dark place for 30 days
add 250grams of sugar
shake every day until sugar is dissolved
strain into clean bottle.

its 10 times better then any pre-made limoncello bottles. give it a go and see what you think. it might be a bit more of a "yellow banana" for you instead of starting to distil.

but there is grain alcohol at dan murphys- i think adelaide. south Australia will sell it as well. the link is provided below.

:text-+1: great post andy. Sometimes you don't need a still just some simple help to get the job done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

hello to you all -HELP

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:27 pm

I strongly disagree with putting your lemons on higher abv than 45%.

If you want you can make this with any top shelf vodka, but using rectified spirit you're pulling out unwanted oils and flavours.

As others have described - you get a dish washing liquid style aroma and flavour.

And 30 days? Nope sorry I use a recipe relied upon for generations by Italians and it could not be simpler. I would never leave peel in contact with spirit for 30 days.

1 litre 40% neutral alc (vodka if you will)
500 mls sugar syrup (cup of water, cup of sugar boiled until clear, then stored in fridge)
The peel of 8 lemons with NO pith (the white stuff)
Combine the peel and the neutral
Age NO MORE than 5 days on peel
Add to the sugar syrup
Now (and this is the important part) rest in a dark cool spot at least two weeks. The longer you rest it after this point the better it gets, not more time on the peel.

Now serve ice cold.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:26 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:but using rectified spirit you're pulling out unwanted oils and flavours.

Nothing wrong with diluting it down to though.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

hello to you all -HELP

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:53 am

SBB wrote:
BackyardBrewer wrote:but using rectified spirit you're pulling out unwanted oils and flavours.

Nothing wrong with diluting it down to though.

I don't reckon that works, it didn't for me. The batch I left too long on the peel was unsalvageable with any amount of cutting and diluting. End up turfing it:(

Just done a batch of this recipe using oranges and it's fantastic. Like poor mans Cointreau.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Welcome Centre