Another SA member signing in

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Another SA member signing in

Postby monners36 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Hello all, My first post on here and my first time making my own grog. I have just purchased an airstill and done my first batch. Probably should have looked on here first and would have got a better idea of what I was doing. Made some burboun and some vodka but they taste very sweet and to be honest not much different from each other. Thinking I might try a TPW and doing some cuts, hopefully that will improve the taste somewhat. Just have to read some more and try and find a NOOBS page that gives me some seriously basic step by step of the wash cycle, degassing, when its ready to distill, how to do cuts.......basically everything :D
monners36

equipment: Air still 5L

Re: Another SA member signing in

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your bourbon and vodka taste the same there is a problem 8-}

As for your reading pleasure check this section out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:15 pm

G'day Monners, this link will also probably help you no end. Enjoy the journey , their is a lot to learn.
viewforum.php?f=42
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby monners36 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Yup, lot to learn. Read a lot ove he last 2 day. Think I have most of it sussed out now. Going to try TPW and doing a stripping run. Not sure how the strip run will go for first time but sounds like the TPW is the way to go for $$$ and quality anyway.
monners36

Postby Bushy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum mate. The capacity of yr still is gonna slow you down a bit. But, we all started somewhere.
Enjoy the ride
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby monners36 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 pm

I sort of get the feeling not to many people are a fan of the airstill. It seems to be best suited for me atthis stage, dont have much room so it will have to work.
With this TPW is the fermenting process as active as the turbo wash? Its my first TPW and hile it does seem to to be bubbling its not going mental. I kind of figure with what everone was saying it will take longer to be ready so am thinking of getting another fermenter on the run.
monners36

Postby SBB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Its a long time since Ive done a Turbo, but from memory a TPW is less active.
You would probably get best results by stripping the whole wash when its done, then filling your air still with the low wines.
That way you will have more to play with and will be able to make some worthwhile cuts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby monners36 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Sorry, what do yo mean by a full stripping run? Do you mean put 4lt of wash in and take say approx first 1200ml, then turf the rest? Do this for 6 runs (4L x 6 runs = 24L) then do the cuts run/spirit run on what has been taken out (6 x 1200ml)? Sorry, that may seem like a stupid question, there is so much info on this page, I am sort of dummer but also smarter then when I started LOL
monners36

Postby Bushy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Sounds about right mate
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:38 pm

monners36 wrote:Sorry, what do yo mean by a full stripping run? Do you mean put 4lt of wash in and take say approx first 1200ml, then turf the rest? Do this for 6 runs (4L x 6 runs = 24L) then do the cuts run/spirit run on what has been taken out (6 x 1200ml)? Sorry, that may seem like a stupid question, there is so much info on this page, I am sort of dummer but also smarter then when I started LOL

Here is a good guide to stripping runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Once you have done a few stripping runs then water your charge down to 40% (for safety reasons) then do a slow spirit run then do your cuts for your final product :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Smbjk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:27 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
monners36 wrote:Sorry, what do yo mean by a full stripping run? Do you mean put 4lt of wash in and take say approx first 1200ml, then turf the rest? Do this for 6 runs (4L x 6 runs = 24L) then do the cuts run/spirit run on what has been taken out (6 x 1200ml)? Sorry, that may seem like a stupid question, there is so much info on this page, I am sort of dummer but also smarter then when I started LOL

Here is a good guide to stripping runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Once you have done a few stripping runs then water your charge down to 40% (for safety reasons) then do a slow spirit run then do your cuts for your final product :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: question though how do you do a slow spirit run in an air still. Thought they only had one speed. But from what I have read about these machines it only drips out anyway :think:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

Yeah good point the runs will be at whatever speed it goes at, still want to strip then spirit run tho :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby SBB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:40 pm

monners36 wrote:Sorry, what do yo mean by a full stripping run?

Sam has already pointed you in the right direction, Stripping first should help a lot.
If it hasn't already been mentioned you also need to read up on cuts, Your little still will appreciate your efforts and you will be happier with the results.

Smbjk wrote::text-+1: question though how do you do a slow spirit run in an air still. Thought they only had one speed. But from what I have read about these machines it only drips out anyway :think:

Smbjk my son came home once with an air still a fair while ago, its what ended up leading me to distilling forums, he went for the whole HBS sell, including turbos, the carbon filter the lot.
The first time I tried what came out of it I thought ...FFS there has to be a better way. From memory , and it is a while now, they run faster than a drip more like a fine stream I think.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Smbjk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 pm

SBB wrote:
monners36 wrote:Sorry, what do yo mean by a full stripping run?

Sam has already pointed you in the right direction, Stripping first should help a lot.
If it hasn't already been mentioned you also need to read up on cuts, Your little still will appreciate your efforts and you will be happier with the results.

Smbjk wrote::text-+1: question though how do you do a slow spirit run in an air still. Thought they only had one speed. But from what I have read about these machines it only drips out anyway :think:

Smbjk my son came home once with an air still a fair while ago, its what ended up leading me to distilling forums, he went for the whole HBS sell, including turbos, the carbon filter the lot.
The first time I tried what came out of it I thought ...FFS there has to be a better way. From memory , and it is a while now, they run faster than a drip more like a fine stream I think.

Thanks for the info sbb :handgestures-thumbupleft: and now look at you.. :D what your son doing or do you have to make his booze :violence-stickwhack:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Return to Welcome Centre