4" Plated Column Still (Melbourne Area) And Howdy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

4" Plated Column Still (Melbourne Area) And Howdy

Postby Mormash » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi guys, you don't know me but I know a lot of you as I've been reading this forum a lot lately, along with as many good distilling books as I can get my hands on. I plan to introduce myself eventually and join the community here but I would like to get a better knowledge-base and gain some experience before I bombard you with questions that have been asked one thousand times before.

I originally wanted a pot still to age my own whisky however after reading this forum for a while you guys have convinced me that a plated column still is the way to go, so if anybody has one for sale please let me know as I'm keen to get started.

I'm also looking for a boiler so it would be good to buy them as a combo to save on travel time as I'm in a rural area 350kms from Melbourne.

Cheers guys! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Re: 4" Plated Column Still (Melbourne Area)

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Check out 5 star distilling mac will get you organised..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Mormash » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:19 pm

bluc wrote:Check out 5 star distilling mac will get you organised..

I've been stalking that site for a while now and every product is "out of stock". Do people need to order their stills, parts and accessories or is there stock coming soon?
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Gday mate, welcome. Ignore the out of stock message. They're in the middle of moving from WA to QLD. Just email Sue and she'll let you know of availability :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Mormash » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Awesome mate, will do. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Re: 4" Plated Column Still (Melbourne Area) And Howdy

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:50 pm

This may as well be your introduction post so I have moved it to the suitable area ;-)

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Keep an eye on the for sale section as bargains pop up every now and then. Keep us informed as you get setup and take plenty of pics :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby coffe addict » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Welcome mate glad you've stepped out of the shadows

What is your drink of choice?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Heres a boiler for you http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9918

Ps if you add a general location to your profile it helps us help you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Mormash » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:03 am

Hi guys, I didn't realise I had some replies to this old thread until just now so I may as well officially introduce myself as I'm finally all kitted up with a 3 vessel herms brewing system, a 5 tee 4" bubbler and ready to produce some serious whiskey.
The only thing holding me back now is a lack of hands on experience which isn't going to be an issue for too much longer as this hobby has quickly developed into an obsession which takes up pretty much all of my spare time (much to my girlfriend's dismay).

I've been a beer and scotch drinker for a long time now and after deciding to try my hand at making some whisky I decided to reach higher on the liquor store shelf, above my usual (and beloved) Johnnie Walker Black Label to find what other great scotches there are to be enjoyed, possibly replicated and hopefully surpassed in quality along the way on my personal journey into home distilling.
So after a copious amount of what I like to call "R&D" which involved sending myself broke enjoying a lot of fine scotches that I could never afford, I eventually stumbled upon the Islay whiskies and up until then, had never tasted scotch such as the famous Lagavulan, Ardbeg and Laphroaig. Holy shit, these scotches are so goddamn tasty I could almost drown in them, and I ever do drown in a pool of Lagavulan 16yr old I choose to have my body cremated on a fiery bed of Scottish peat moss!

I've currently succeeded in distilling a few TPW's to get me by for the time being while experimenting with essences and I've currently got 50l of BWKO, NGW and CFW as I'm using the sugarhead whiskies to gain distilling experience because my real aim is to master the traditional all-grain whiskies and making enough that I can easily age them for a very long time to come.

Thanks to all who contribute to this great forum as you have already helped me so much both directly but mainly indirectly as I've been a silent lurker for quite a while now but plan to hang around and contribute for much longer.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Return to Welcome Centre