Hello & Cheers from Tassie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello & Cheers from Tassie

Postby ppruss » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Hello everyone!
Paul here and I'm not new to distilling or brewing, though a long time since I've distilled, and I'm interested in getting back into it.
I've been brewing beer for about 25 years and have done everything from kit & kilo to full on all grain and keging.

I started out distilling in the early 2000's with a simple pot still and a copper column. I made quite a bit of product and messed around with efficiency by lengthening the column, adding SS pot scrubbers, etc. In the end I got worried about safely (the process, not the quantity :-D ) consuming my product and gave it up. Now with the advent of the Air Still I'm thinking about getting back into it. So, I thought that AD might be the place to absorb the collective distillers experience and see what 15 years of progress has produced.

Slàinte!
ppruss

equipment: Noob with a 5S basic pot on a 50l keg boiler.

Re: Hello & Cheers from Tassie

Postby OzzyChef » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Welcome mate! My folks live in Tassie it's a beautiful place!
I suggest scrapping the idea of the airstill and going back to your old ways with the pot still! They are awesome and are still producing awesome products since you gave it a rest.
Stay still
Ozzy
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Postby ppruss » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm

OzzyChef wrote:Welcome mate! My folks live in Tassie it's a beautiful place!
I suggest scrapping the idea of the airstill and going back to your old ways with the pot still! They are awesome and are still producing awesome products since you gave it a rest.
Stay still
Ozzy

Hey Ozzy, thanks for the cheeri-o!

Tell me why I should avoid the Air Still. My reasons are a bit long winded so I'll spare you. At the moment I'm not really interested in the "all grain" version of distilling, nor do I have the finances for a full on T500 or Grainfather + Alembic head.

Interested in your advice mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ppruss

Postby OzzyChef » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:11 pm

My advice is one of limited experience but from all the areas of this site that I have studied, a good solid reflux still will produce you a far superior and good value Neutral (rather then All Grain) off a simple sugar wash such as TPW or Kale. The air still will probably cost you more then you could build a Boka or offset reflux as well. In terms of value and quality the airstill won't stand up but that's just my 2 cents from what I have learnt in the last year of researching and a journey to building my own stills. I'm sure the Old Hats (no offence) will chime in and guide you towards achieving what you want

Cheers!
Ozzy
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Postby ppruss » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Okay Ozzy - you got my attention with "Boka or offset reflux" for less than an Air Still ($320 in the local shops here in Hobart.
Looks like I have some researching to do.

Cheers Mate!
ppruss

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Russ, ozzy if definitely pointing you in the right direction with avoiding an airstill.
I made the rash decision years ago and rushed out to buy a t500 which I gladly retired some months ago.
I'd say you've got some skills building as you mentioned experimenting with your pot.
What type of spirit are you chasing?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm

If you brew and drink AG beer, the $300 you spend on an air still may as well be spent on *insert shit mid strength beer here* - you'll get about as much enjoyment out of it.

Welcome to the forum. Build a pot still, upgrade to a bubbler.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby ppruss » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:If you brew and drink AG beer, the $300 you spend on an air still may as well be spent on *insert shit mid strength beer here* - you'll get about as much enjoyment out of it.

Welcome to the forum. Build a pot still, upgrade to a bubbler.

Cheers Zak!
ppruss

Postby Plumby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Russ, I just built my first pot still and it cost me at most $180 and that Includes a new propane torch, flux,solder, reducer's,elbows and the triclamp to attach it to my keg ( that was donated). The whole box and dice really. Took me 3 hours to solder it together and that was my first time soldering. Much cheaper than a Home Brew Shop air still. And I can do a 40 litre run not 4 litre.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby ppruss » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Hey Plumby - Cheers. I have some research ahead me of me it seems :-)
ppruss

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Enjoy the forum :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Plumby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Best advice I can give is make a still for what you drink. It you like vodka or neutral spirit go for a reflux still if you like brown spirits go for a pot still. Horses for courses and all that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby tassiespirit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Welcome,
I am new here too mate, but, I am up in the North of the state. I would like to give you a recommendation of another of Tassies finest - a member here; and that is TasSpirits. He is a top guy and has been a wealth of info and is friendly to boot. I am new to all this and if you are ever up this way maybe touch base with him.
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby tassiespirit » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Stainless steel beer keg on Gumtree for sale in Howrah Tassie for $25 - I saw today, if you live down that way.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/howrah/ ... 1137674566
It might work for someone :smile:
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby Borneogoat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello PPrus. I'm in Hobart too and in a similar situation: AG brewer, returning to the still-life after years, and about to purchase a still system. Are you by chance one of the Homebrew Club members I drank with last night at the New Sydney? If yes, thanks for the hangover!
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Postby ppruss » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Borneogoat wrote:Hello PPrus. I'm in Hobart too and in a similar situation: AG brewer, returning to the still-life after years, and about to purchase a still system. Are you by chance one of the Homebrew Club members I drank with last night at the New Sydney? If yes, thanks for the hangover!

Hey Borneogoat,
No mate, wasn't at the NewSyd. I don't get out much ;-)

I've just purchased a 5Star basic pot still. I have a keg and will be converting that to a boiler soon. We should catch up sometime.
ppruss

Postby ppruss » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:15 pm

tassiespirit wrote:Welcome,
I am new here too mate, but, I am up in the North of the state. I would like to give you a recommendation of another of Tassies finest - a member here; and that is TasSpirits. He is a top guy and has been a wealth of info and is friendly to boot. I am new to all this and if you are ever up this way maybe touch base with him.

Thanks for the Hoy, Tassiespirit!
I'll look up TasSpirits' posts :-)

Managed to track down a keg and after BumbleFing around, got the spear out. :angry-banghead:
Now, it's more BFing to put a heating element in it. 8-}
ppruss

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:56 pm

G-day and welcome to the forum,sounds like ya all over it like those bloody jumping jacks were on me dureing my last visit ta Tassie,the 5star rig should do ya very well with options to develop in the future.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ppruss » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:44 am

hillzabilly wrote:G-day and welcome to the forum,sounds like ya all over it like those bloody jumping jacks were on me dureing my last visit ta Tassie,the 5star rig should do ya very well with options to develop in the future.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Hey Hillz - Yeah, went the 5Star because it seemed a pain in the back side to find 2" copper and fittings.
I've never done any copper SSoldering before so I thought I'd start out pre-built. I'll probably make a parrot to get the feel.
That said, I seem to be ok with jumping in and ordering parts to silver solder a 2" flange on to my keg for the element, go figure. :shock:

Thanks for the welcome.
ppruss

Postby Borneogoat » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:40 am

ppruss wrote:
Borneogoat wrote:Hello PPrus. I'm in Hobart too and in a similar situation: AG brewer, returning to the still-life after years, and about to purchase a still system. Are you by chance one of the Homebrew Club members I drank with last night at the New Sydney? If yes, thanks for the hangover!

Hey Borneogoat,
No mate, wasn't at the NewSyd. I don't get out much ;-)

I've just purchased a 5Star basic pot still. I have a keg and will be converting that to a boiler soon. We should catch up sometime.

Always good to know other locals in your hobby, gives an excuse to have a couple cold ones framed in the guise of furthering our knowledge! My still isn't quite on order yet, still futzing around getting a new power-point in. But when you have your's up and chugging along, I'd love to check it out.
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Next

Return to Welcome Centre