New from Mackay reigon

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New from Mackay reigon

Postby Zburt » Thu May 04, 2017 2:37 pm

hello out there

I have been browsing this and meany other forums for around 2 years now. So I've decided to sign up to a forum this one was an Australian based one with really helpful information.
I have been brewing and distilling for around 2 years now using my turbo 500 reflux still.

now I feel as though I have enough experience to try some thing different, my plan is to build a copper pot still attachment for my t500 boiler as I already have this.
I'm still deciding on a design but am going in the direction of a 2inch riser with a shot gun condenser. I think I will be putting a socket for reading temperature at the top of the riser near the 90 degree bend, the reason for this is to experiment with a pot still using temperature and a parrot to get my head around the relation ship between heat and abv

Cheers zburt
Zburt

equipment: Turbo 500 reflux still

Re: New from Mackay reigon

Postby Lowie » Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 pm

G'day mate. Welcome along. Sounds like you've got a good plan! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby hillzabilly » Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 pm

G-day mate welcome ta the fold,higher temp =lower ABV,lower temp=higher ABV,same for boiler temp,anyhoo enjoy finding ya way .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Thu May 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Woops ! ment ta add that I would not bother with the thermo on ya still but would put it on the boiler lid instead.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Cheersbigears » Thu May 04, 2017 4:29 pm

G'Day
The sky's the limit now you're in the upgrade stage. I was looking at doing similar but my boiler shit itself so I upgraded the lot. Im sure you will have fun as we all have down that road. Oh and you will be able to do more than the TPW well I and we all hope you have been doing TPW and not the turbos.
:greetings-waveyellow:
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby copperhead road » Thu May 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Welcome mate sounds like some good whiskey will be coming your way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Zburt » Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 pm

thanks every one for your support and insights, yes I have been doing the tow and there will be bourbon and whiskey my way thats why I'm moving to the pot still. hopefully I will make up my mind on the build so I can get the materials and build it still looking through the pot still section looking for some thing similar to what I want

what I would like to build

2' 600ml riser with two 90 degree bends in to a 40mm shot gun condenser or maybe a 2' (still deciding) then on to a parrot

getting keen

zburt
Zburt

Postby Zburt » Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Woops ! ment ta add that I would not bother with the thermo on ya still but would put it on the boiler lid instead.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

noob question the thermo in the boiler head is related to temperature as to which ethanol evaporates ensuring you are getting the good stuff out the other end ?

zburt
Zburt

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Zburt wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:Woops ! ment ta add that I would not bother with the thermo on ya still but would put it on the boiler lid instead.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

noob question the thermo in the boiler head is related to temperature as to which ethanol evaporates ensuring you are getting the good stuff out the other end ?

zburt

Run a pot on how fast it coming out, it's a matter of quality :handgestures-thumbupleft: a temp gauge on pot is as useful as ashtray on m-bike
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Plumby » Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
Zburt wrote:

zburt

Run a pot on how fast it coming out, it's a matter of quality :handgestures-thumbupleft: a temp gauge on pot is as useful as ashtray on m-bike

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri May 05, 2017 6:08 am

Welcome mate. As the lads have said, a thermometer at the top of a pot column isn't going to tell you much... stick it in the lid of your boiler and after a few runs you'll know when you're about to start taking off product, but that's about it.

The good stuff will come off whether or not you know what temperature it is.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby scythe » Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 am

Go with a 2" shotgun, no need for reducers then and 2" stuff is prety cheap.

You can fit more tubes in a 2" shell.

You can also use it on your future bubbler.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am

I consider the thermo on a boiler the same as a fuel gauge in a car,gives you an idear of were you are in a run ,it will allways be at 100'c at the end of the run but the start temp will depend on the ABV% of ya wash ,once ya get plenty of experience its probably not required,but for beginners it may help understand the corolation of temp and ABV% ,lower temps =higher ABV,higher temps = lowerABV for pot stills.anyhoo carry on .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby Professor Green » Fri May 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Welcome to AD Zburt. Good luck with your build and remember, pics are mandatory!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:text-+1: on the pics and a build thread :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Return to Welcome Centre