Hey everybody. Forum and distilling newbie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey everybody. Forum and distilling newbie

Postby bundybear71 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:09 pm

Looking forward to expanding my "homebrewing" experiences.
I have been a beer brewer for over 20 years and was on the point on investing in a Grainfather when I got diagnosed with Coeliac Disease. The handbrake immediately got ripped on towards this purchase as, even though I enjoy sharing a homebrew with a mate, I want to be able to share it with them and not just hear about how awesome it tastes.
I have switched to making Glutard beer and cider and kegging them but have recently used the funds I would otherwise have put towards the Grainfather towards a T500 kit.
(ducks head and cowers away from the rocks being thrown). :violence-smack:
Thankfully before I put my first turbo wash down a mate told be about this site and, as I type, my first ever wash - TPW - is bubbling away nicely right on 30*C.
I have read a few of the threads on here and I'm starting to think that it'll take 30 years or more to digest everything.
Look forward to expanding my knowledge and experiences.
bundybear71

equipment: Don't hate on me !!!! - Turbo 500

Re: Hey everybody. Forum and distilling newbie

Postby bundybear71 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:20 pm

Forgot to add that I am near Ipswich in SE QLD.
bundybear71

equipment: Don't hate on me !!!! - Turbo 500

Postby Amfamora » Fri May 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Good going straight to TPW..... I did one turbo wash before asking myself what is this s417.

I have used the turdo 500 for a few years and it has got me by for cheap neutral but the biggest help was getting a suitable pot head to go on the boiler to do multiple stripping runs of larger ferments then doing 1 spirit run through the reflux head.

If you get more into the hobby you will quickly outgrow the turdo, but to get started I cant bash it too hard. One mod you can do fairly cheaply is split the cooling lines between the Product Condenser and the reflux condenser giving them both independent cooling.

People claim you can get full reflex doing this but, may have been my hose or valve size, I didnt get there, not without power control to the boiler as well (turning it down under 2000w)

Im in the process of building a keg boiler and have a 4 plate bubbler on the way, hours and hours doing a spirit run after hours and hours of stripping runs grows old quick and pisses off the missus taking over the kitchen to use the faucet connection.

But whatever you use, making your own booze is great :)
Amfamora

equipment: T500 Pot and Reflux :/
50l Keg Boiler
4" Bubbler

Postby Doubleuj » Sat May 06, 2017 7:24 am

Welcome mate, nothing wrong with the t500 if you've already bought it, with some simple mods and techniques it produces a good neutral (vodka),
Have you read this?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sat May 06, 2017 10:07 am

Welcome bundybear71.

The plenty folks here using the T500 and making quality vodka mate. It'll be a good starting point for learning the craft and you can upgrade later down the track if you outgrow it.
Ignore the operating instructions that came with it, have a read of the thread Doubleuj posted above and you'll be off to a good start.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby copperhead road » Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 am

Welcome buddy, sure is heaps of good advice on here like the boys have outlined above :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Return to Welcome Centre