Hello All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello All

Postby Buzz » Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 pm

I've just finished working a stint as a cellar hand for the 2017 Vintage and was surprised that the winery had no still. Back in the 80's I remember being in awe of the wood fired copper still that Frank had just fired up for a night of stillin' to fortify some of their wines. A beautiful piece of art that could have been as old as the 1890 French oak basket press that they had been using for three generations.
Mid nineties and the rise of the Internet saw my interest in distilling again grow and I purchased a Spirits Unlimited aluminium pot still. I made some awful tasting stuff so I went back to brewing beer and left the still to gather dust in the shed.
So a few weeks ago I started looking up info on distilling again, inspired by the mountain of Marc left in the paddock at the back of the Winery to be used as fertilizer and in a quest to decipher the information overload i was experiencing from terminology that was as easy to understand as a foreign language I ended up here.
I have read hundreds of posts and thanks to you all I know I'm going to give this art another go. :D
Buzz

equipment: FSD 4" pot with work started on a keg boiler
and a 20 year old Spirits Unlimited aluminium pot still

Re: Hello All

Postby Doubleuj » Thu May 11, 2017 12:36 pm

G'day buzz, hopefully your not going to use that aluminium still again?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby copperhead road » Thu May 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Did they use to make aluminium stills?
Poison arrrrrrr! :handgestures-thumbdown:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Professor Green » Thu May 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Welcome Buzz.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby andybear » Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Welcome buzz. You've come to the best place to get you going on the right track. Enjoy.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby tipsy » Fri May 12, 2017 10:49 am

Hi :greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Buzz » Wed May 31, 2017 9:16 am

I've bought a cople of kegs from a tip shop for $40 and have been cooking a lot more pasta bakes lately so the glass jar collection is growing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also have ordered a 4" pot from FSD a week ago so things are slowly moving ahead :-D
Buzz

equipment: FSD 4" pot with work started on a keg boiler
and a 20 year old Spirits Unlimited aluminium pot still

Return to Welcome Centre