Hi there from nw sydney.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi there from nw sydney.

Postby scottyd72 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi there, Scott here. Im new to distilling but ive been reading about it for years and know mates that are into it and I find it fascinating to be able to distill. So ive finally decided to have a go at it.
I've layby'd a reflux column and boiler setup and should have it in 3 to 4 weeks time.
I dont mind a drop of jim beam or recently have been enjoying canadian club.
A mate of mine did a bottle of JB years ago using the wood chips and it was the smoothest bottle of borbon ive ever had, so im hoping to recreate that...
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Re: Hi there from nw sydney.

Postby Lowie » Fri May 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Welcome mate. What kind of kit have you ordered? I'm a bit partial to bourbon too... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby andybear » Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Well done mate for jumping in. You will not be disappointed. I've found that it takes a bit of time for bourbon to mature on oak but the results are amazing. Try the cfw in the tried and true area.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Professor Green » Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Welcome Scott.

Get yourself a wash or two going now so they're ready to run when your new toy arrives :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby scottyd72 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.
Ive ordered a black maximus and a 30ltr boiler with a beginners kit with all the extras needed to start up.
Ill go look up the cfw wash too, ta.
Ill grab a spare fermeter kit a week or two before i finish paying the layby. Itll only be a few weeks or so...
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby Lowie » Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Heads up. Don't buy the hbs turbo stuff, you're just wasting your money (like I did for lots of years :-( ) tpw or teddys fast ferment vodka, that might be on another forum. Good start for vodkas.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby scythe » Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 am

Both Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) and Teddysad's Fast Fermenting Vodka (FFV) can be found in the recipe section of this forum.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby scottyd72 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Lowie wrote:Heads up. Don't buy the hbs turbo stuff, you're just wasting your money (like I did for lots of years :-( ) tpw or teddys fast ferment vodka, that might be on another forum. Good start for vodkas.

Thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft: yep been reading up on the famous TPW and im keen as to try it out. The package ive bought comes with a turbo and dextrose mix for my first wash, so ill use that as a training run and im going to buy a second fermenting drum and ill do a TPW wash alongside the turbo to see the improvements in quality and
scottyd72

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat May 13, 2017 6:32 pm

You don't need to buy a dedicated fermenter, I use a 60L food grade pickle drum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Welcome to the madhouse.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby scottyd72 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You don't need to buy a dedicated fermenter, I use a 60L food grade pickle drum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Welcome to the madhouse.

Ah nice. Ill go ask my local McDonalds then :handgestures-thumbupleft:
scottyd72

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Welcome- get the washes going so you have clear to experiment with.

Enjoy the challenge.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby scottyd72 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:24 am

Yurugaboy wrote:Welcome- get the washes going so you have clear to experiment with.

Enjoy the challenge.

Thanks, yep will do :handgestures-thumbupleft:
scottyd72

Return to Welcome Centre