Hello everyone!!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello everyone!!

Postby davis88 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Hey there :greetings-waveyellow: after a year of reading this forum I finally thought i should start posting.

Im in tassie, been distilling for approximately a year. began with the dreaded airstill :angry-banghead: , im currently using a small 20 litre stock pot with domed lid and copper liebig. the head is only 3/4" so its rather in efficient. it literally takes like 5 hours to strip a full boiler :crying-blue:

Ive made, TPW, Mcrum, CFW, Plum Liquor, Peach Liquor, Malt extract whiskey, Ouzo/pastis recipe ( also tried ouzo with a mollases base, white rum instead of neutral), now ive been making pure corn whiskey (all grain) white lightening. im originally from the states, so for me it is tradition after all :teasing-nutkick: ive also got some of the pure corn whiskey aging on a mix of med and heavy toast dominoes for xmas.

After getting into all grain i dont think ill ever add sugar to a grain mash again, haha. no offence to anyone :teasing-nutkick:

im desperate to up grade my still. ive been looking at all the pots you guys are running and would love to get a 2" copper pelican made up to strap to either a turbo boiler of keg. ive got ZERO skill with soldering so i will probably get a local plumber to do that for me :geek:

so there we go, my first post, thanks for reading :music-deathmetal:
Last edited by Sam. on Mon May 22, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed reference to ex member
davis88

equipment: 5 Gal Pot still
40 L mash tun
Grain Mill
FSD in my future

Re: Hello everyone!!

Postby Sam. » Mon May 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Welcome mate, sounds like your well on your way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby davis88 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Sam. wrote:Welcome mate, sounds like your well on your way :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thank you kindly
davis88

40 L mash tun
Grain Mill
FSD in my future

Postby Plumby » Mon May 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Welcome to the mad house mate. I had never soldered until I made my pot still. It was daunting at first but after 3 or 4 joins I was wondering why I was worried about it.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby davis88 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Plumby wrote:Welcome to the mad house mate. I had never soldered until I made my pot still. It was daunting at first but after 3 or 4 joins I was wondering why I was worried about it.

Thank you. Your giving me ideas mate haha. I think i have enough spare time for another hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
davis88

40 L mash tun
Grain Mill
FSD in my future

Postby davis88 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:44 pm

This is the current set up. Its just coming up to temp as i type. waiting to start taking foreshots, boiler is charged with 3 striping runs of low wines from 15 gallons all grain corn mash. mash bill 80% Tassie corn, 15% Gladfields distillers malt and 5% malted Rye.

as you can see, my still is ok for slow spirit runs, but a PITA for stripping.

mcrum and coke in the glass, pretty young, only 3-4 months on american oak (okay for mixing) haha. Yes its a monday arvo, but its my day off this week LOL :scared-eek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davis88

40 L mash tun
Grain Mill
FSD in my future

Postby Lowie » Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 pm

You're all over it mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Kenster » Mon May 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Welcome bud... as said you have the skill set and knowledge, well beyond many of us here, but you will need some new kit to heighten your craft. Happy days....
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby davis88 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Kenster wrote:Welcome bud... as said you have the skill set and knowledge, well beyond many of us here, but you will need some new kit to heighten your craft. Happy days....

thanks mate.

New kit ^:)^
davis88

40 L mash tun
Grain Mill
FSD in my future

Return to Welcome Centre