First of many stupid mistakes but can I fix it

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: First of many stupid mistakes but can I fix it

Postby Lowie » Thu May 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Homer Brewer wrote:thanks Hillzabilly, I am always keen to double check where I can.

if i csn asknyour opinion, for Perth tap water i have been filling the fermenter and leaving the water to flash off the chlorine. good idea or makes no difference?

Easiest way to burn of chlorine is fill your fermenter with tap water and leave it for a few days (longer the better). I used to do this til the misses badgered me for a Puratap. Glad she did, I really noticed the difference in my all grain beer, so prob's the same with a spirit wash. If you're concerned about your water, look up "How to brew" by John Palmer, he's got a whole section of his online book devoted to H2O. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Sam. » Thu May 25, 2017 9:29 pm

For distilling as long as it ferments your good to go, your going to have distilled water with your ethanol after it comes out the still ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri May 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Homer Brewer wrote:thanks Hillzabilly, I am always keen to double check where I can.

if i csn asknyour opinion, for Perth tap water i have been filling the fermenter and leaving the water to flash off the chlorine. good idea or makes no difference?

I add a little extra hot water and mix in the sugar ,it useually takes about 3-4hrs to cool ta pitching temp ,and I stir several times to oxygenate it a little and drive off chlorine,it's worked well for me that way.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre