Long time researcher. First time poster

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Long time researcher. First time poster

Postby Shearms » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi. Am chasing a spiced rum recipe. My setup is basic. Reflux still running constant tomato paste washes. Have tried a number of recipes from here including the kahlua, limoncello and strawberry panty dropper ( even my neighbour gave me the thumbs up for that batch). What im after is a spiced rum recipe. Ive been slack the last couple of years and just been buying the
Still Spirits spiced gold rum satchets to add to my neutral but after buying a bottle of captain morgan black spiced and Kraken im hankering to make something similar. Ive been through the forum and note that most of the recipes call for a brown sugar based wash and such. Just wondering if anyone could point me to a recipe that will flavour my neutral spirit.
Shearms

equipment: Reflux still (home job)

Re: Long time researcher. First time poster

Postby Lowie » Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Welcome mate.
Normally I'd recommend Mac's Rum (it's in the recipe section) as it's Mollasses based which is what you need for rum. However, you're going to struggle with your base spirit as you've got a reflux still that strips the flavour of your wash so it kind of defeats the purpose. Can you de-tune your still to make it into a pot still? You might be able to make a spiced rum of sorts with a neutral and try steeping the spices - not sure if that would work or not (all the recipes I've read on the interweb start with a base rum), but hey, give it a try - that's why it's such a good hobby! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:49 pm

A potstill and a rum wash is what you need. But you don't have that. So, you could try 2 litres of your favourite essence based rum @40%abv, and do this:

1 vanilla bean pod, split in half
1 slice of orange peel, about 2 inches long ( with the white skin removed - makes it bitter )
1 cinnamon stick
3 points of Star of Anise
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

After 3 days I removed the Star Anise and Cloves. After the 7th day i removed the orange peel ( could have done this a little earlier ) After 10 days i bottled it using a funnel and a coffee filter to remove all the smaller particles.

This is Linny's recipe and it's been a fav of mine for yonks :-D

Good luck and enjoy
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby CyBaThUg » Fri May 26, 2017 8:11 pm

:text-+1:
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby P1ratepat » Sat May 27, 2017 8:32 am

Am yet to do a 'macrum' wash but I was under the assumption that a reflux still will carry over molasses flavour.

Re: Adding Molasses to Neutral?
Postby bluc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:14 pm
+1 have heard you still end up with "rum" through a reflux still meaning molasses flavour carries through..

Check out this page here for more viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9233

I did read it on another page but not sure what page that was.
P1ratepat

equipment: T500 reflux

Postby Shearms » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks heaps for your tips and advice. Will be doing a proper rum wash at some stage. But for now ive just run another TPW. Have chucked 2L down on rum chips for an initial favouring. Then will remove from chips and spice it up with the recipes mentioned.
Shearms

equipment: Reflux still (home job)

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Lowie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Shearms wrote:Thanks heaps for your tips and advice. Will be doing a proper rum wash at some stage. But for now ive just run another TPW. Have chucked 2L down on rum chips for an initial favouring. Then will remove from chips and spice it up with the recipes mentioned.

That's a good start mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Welcome Centre