G'day and q about flavoring

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day and q about flavoring

Postby nathanvdr84 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi all.

new to the group so far all info i have read has been very helpful.

i am relativly new to the distilling game. i have a copper t500 so far have been happy with the results i am getting. have done about 8 or 9 washs now with a couple ready to be distilled this weekend.

my question is what kind of escences are people using or what are you all doing to get a nice whiskey/bourbon flavor? i have tried a few different escences now and they have been nice but i really like the wild turkey flavor more specifically the wild turkey 101.

any help or ideas on things to try would be much appreciated thanks in advance

happy distilling
nathanvdr84

equipment: SS T500 copper condenser, 25l boiler

Re: flavoring

Postby Bobsyauncle » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Gday and welcome,

Everyone has different tastes but so far my favorite has been:
Edwards single malt
Still spirits classic American bourbon

Also, found they taste even better after oaking
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby nathanvdr84 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:34 pm

i found the edwards scrub turkey yesterday in the local shop it has a bit of the wild turkey flavor. have 2 ltr soaking oak so will definatly try it in there.

i also really like the still spirits classic whiskey i liked the still spirits classic american bourbon essence also but not the bourbon after taste so much so preffered the whiskey.

was thinking of trying some profiling but not sure if im confident in doing this yet
nathanvdr84

equipment: SS T500 copper condenser, 25l boiler

Postby Lowie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Hey mate. Welcome.
I used to use the still spirits classic American bourbon (in the red packet) mixed with their chunky bourbon staves and a few drops (to your likening) of vanilla essence. Let it age for a few months minimum....
Cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby vqstatesman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Back in the day when I used a t500 the best bourbon like essence I found was essencia bourbon chunks. They were by far the best bang for you buck. Can't recommend them high enough.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby copperhead road » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:07 am

Welcome m8? After a tonne of reading why would you not try one of the whiskey tried and true recipes and then oak it. Most people say after doing that you would never go back to grog cordial essence. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Keep in mind I have not even got my still yet, I'm only going by what I have read and questions I have had answered with the help of the master distillers on the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Bobsyauncle » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:09 am

copperhead road wrote:Welcome m8? After a tonne of reading why would you not try one of the whiskey tried and true recipes and then oak it. Most people say after doing that you would never go back to grog cordial essence. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Keep in mind I have not even got my still yet, I'm only going by what I have read and questions I have had answered with the help of the master distillers on the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cuz he has a t500 which essentially only makes neutral/vodka. No matter the wash you use.
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby Plumby » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:54 am

:text-+1: You could go to the effort of doing an all grain whiskey mash, if you run it through a t500 you will still get neutral alcohol.
When I was using essences, I would use the still spirits Tennessee whiskey pack, then age on oak for 2 or 3 months.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Return to Welcome Centre