Greetings from Adelaide

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings from Adelaide

Postby Cherry1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi All,
New to the site, new to distilling, expert at drinking. Apologies if correct jargon is not used, will get used to it.
Didn't want to invest too much to start with so I picked up a 2nd hand set up to give this dangerous past-time a try.
Still is a 25l Pure Distilling Spirit Maker.
Had a good read through the newbies corner and now raring to go.
Got first two 25l washes on the go today.
First was a TPW exactly as per recipe, second was (please don't give me too much stick) a turbo. Thought being that I can decide early on that Turbo's are the devils work.
Intentions are to not clear or filter the TPW as per original post on that subject and see what outcome I get. But with the Turbo I intend to clear and filter.
During distillation I intend to over cut with both to see how good my nose/taste buds are.
As a starting point does this seem a reasonable approach? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Cherry1

equipment: Pure Distilling

Re: Greetings from Adelaide

Postby Kenster » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Cherry, welcome mate.. Firstly, its not a dangerous pass time unless you have zero control on consumption...(ha ha)
your theory sounds fine... run the turdbo first to get used to running your rig a bit, then the tpw. Keep a record of costs... ie.filtering - time,carbon etc...vs NON filtering with the tpw..you will immediately see it is a no brainer. If the cuts end up harsh to the taste,dont despair and chuck any booze, just re run, a second distillation can never be a bad thing, worst case scenario.
Good luck.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Cherry1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Cheers Kenster
Cherry1

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:52 pm

:greetings-waveyellow: welcome. I did 1 turbo too, how does it smell so far?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Welcome Cherry1.

By all means run your turbo for the experience but I doubt there's a single person here that prefers the results of a turbo to a TPW! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Cherry1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Smells ok so far, but as I know Jack about what it's supposed to smell like who knows :-D
I am expecting the TPW to win hands down, but need to prove to myself first....
Cherry1

Postby bayshine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Welcome mate, if I could give some advice... do a viniger/acid run to give your still a good clean out then run your turbo as a sacrificial run to clean out the acid, then run your tpw :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Cherry1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:31 pm

bayshine wrote:Welcome mate, if I could give some advice... do a viniger/acid run to give your still a good clean out then run your turbo as a sacrificial run to clean out the acid, then run your tpw :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi Bayshine
What quantities would you recommend for the vinegar/acid run?
Cheers
Cherry1

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 am

50/50 water and vinager, let it steam for 30 to 40 minutes ( don't hook up water to condenser)

Make sure you have water running through condenser for your first sacrificial run and throw away everything (do not drink)
OH and welcome to the forum buddy, have a great time ! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Cherry1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:57 pm

copperhead road wrote:50/50 water and vinager, let it steam for 30 to 40 minutes ( don't hook up water to condenser)

Make sure you have water running through condenser for your first sacrificial run and throw away everything (do not drink)
OH and welcome to the forum buddy, have a great time ! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks copperhead, will do.
Cherry1

Postby Azza76 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Welcome mate hope you have an awesome time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby Lowie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Welcome fellow croweater, I too am an expert drinker... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As your still is already run in you may not want to waste your expensive overpriced homebrew shop turbo on a sacrificial run you could just clean the unit up with a citric acid bath (sprinkle a tablespoon in a big tub of water) and leave it for a few hours, days, whatever. then rinse out thoroughly with fresh water. Tip out all the packing that's in it too and give that a good bath as it's probably skanky! Cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Cherry1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:54 am

Lowie wrote:Welcome fellow croweater, I too am an expert drinker... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As your still is already run in you may not want to waste your expensive overpriced homebrew shop turbo on a sacrificial run you could just clean the unit up with a citric acid bath (sprinkle a tablespoon in a big tub of water) and leave it for a few hours, days, whatever. then rinse out thoroughly with fresh water. Tip out all the packing that's in it too and give that a good bath as it's probably skanky! Cheers.

Cheers Lowie, thanks for the advice.
Cherry1

Postby Floydy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Welcome, Im from Adelaide too and also new to this hobby but loving it
Floydy

equipment: Air still

Postby Cherry1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Floydy wrote:Welcome, Im from Adelaide too and also new to this hobby but loving it

Hi Floydy,
Thanks for the hello
Cherry1

Return to Welcome Centre