G'day and rum yeast

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day and rum yeast

Postby Teves » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi I'm a first time using this rum yeast my fermentation is done have added the clear but is still very dark in colour is this ok ? Also after I start distilling through my air still can you please tell me the next steps !!do I not need to fit it through a carbon filter ?? Do I distill it just the once just need to understand the process thanks steve
Teves

equipment: Air still

Re: G'day and rum yeast

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:34 pm

I moved your post here as it's your first, so welcome here bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What was your recipe for the rum? Most people wouldn't put it through the carbon filter unless you are after a white rum :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Teves » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:39 am

Cheers Sam
Ok I used 4.5 k sugar 2 k molasses yeast carbon in the wash let it sit for the required time mixed the clear through then siphoned the wash which was still dark brown and distilled just 1 water litre wash so thus far have 1 litre of alcohol which is only about 50 percent as the air still doesn't go much higher the instructions I just googled online which are for that particular yeast I bought cheers
Teves

Postby Minpac » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:27 am

Hi Teves,

Welcome to the forum. It's worth reading the info for newcomers here: viewforum.php?f=57

Dark coloured washes are fine to run. As for yeast, it's an ongoing debate. From what I've read here, we mostly avoid 'turbo' yeast and don't use any clearing fines. I've not done a rum, but lots of people are pretty happy with plain ole bread yeast for rums.

Carbon filtering is often used when 'cuts' aren't made. Cutting is the process of separating what comes off the still, as the quality of the alcohol varies over a run. I've not used an airstill, but assume this would still apply. Here's a good starter: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859

Dropping high cost yeast and fining/clearing/filtering will save on cost, and doing the cuts will increase quality(rather than filtering and losing both good and bad flavours).

For your next recipe, try out something in our tried and proven section:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Teves » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:40 am

Ok I will look at a different recipe next time what do I need to do though to finish off this batch ? Do I distill it as normal or do I need to let it sit for a while like my instructions are telling me I think I've established not to put it through a carbon filter . But it's also telling me once I have distilled it to hold for 3 days and on the 3rd add more Turbo carbon !!!!
Teves

Postby Minpac » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 pm

How many litres of wash left?

Assuming you've mixed up a 20-30L batch of wash, I'd probably keep the litre you've collected so far and put it aside -as it will contain foreshots (methanol). Run the rest through, but collect in jars, 200ml at a time and let them air for a day. Once you've done that, smell each of them and decide what smells good and bad, and mix the good ones together, and use this, putting all the bad smelling/tasting ones with the stuff you put aside for mixing in with a future run.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Teves » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:01 pm

the airstill does not produce methanol ?? Is there something in the rum yeast that would alter this ???
Teves

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Dont listen to marketing spin all stills will produce methanol the amount varies depending on what wash/mash you do..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:18 pm

bluc wrote:Dont listen to marketing spin all stills will produce methanol the amount varies depending on what wash/mash you do..

:text-+1:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Yep I've found my homebrew shop spins a lot of shit went in for a look and they gave me a taste of there cane cutter boxed rum stuff she told me it's fantastic it's come straight of the still and hands me a shot glass of what I can only describe as brown liquid cuz it did not taste like rum, I said to her if this is straight of the still your doing something wrong if it comes out brown she responded with oh I didn't make it my partner did I'm into beer
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby Teves » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Yeah ok so with a air still we should be discarding which part and what amount
Teves

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:31 pm

The air still is a pot still, have a read of the newbies section and learn up on cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Welcome to the forum.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Azza76 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:Yep I've found my homebrew shop spins a lot of shit went in for a look and they gave me a taste of there cane cutter boxed rum stuff she told me it's fantastic it's come straight of the still and hands me a shot glass of what I can only describe as brown liquid cuz it did not taste like rum, I said to her if this is straight of the still your doing something wrong if it comes out brown she responded with oh I didn't make it my partner did I'm into beer

Ha ha I know that place mate I got sucked into buying a couple of those cane cutter shit kits when I first started :handgestures-thumbdown: also wasted money on there pot head, at least I found this place and I'm on the right track now :handgestures-thumbupleft: next on the agenda a bubbler :-B
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Lol all I'll say is it's in Townsville lol u can't ask for anything if u do they just try selling u some other shit went in for a price on grain and got a spiel on how I need to buy a 50 ltr braumeister lol
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Return to Welcome Centre