Hi....bitten by the Whiskey bug

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi....bitten by the Whiskey bug

Postby Thiele » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi,

I hope to start making some ethanol soon for the purpose of aging into Whiskey.
Haven't found a small suitable Oak barrel yet, and could still go down the toasted oak chip route.

At this stage I am building the last component of the still - the coil and condenser set up.

Dreading the coiling of 1/4" copper tubing part. And also require some copper mesh material. Currently dont have enough - bit tricky to get hold of.

cheers
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thiele

equipment: Basic home made Pot still with a small 2" column packed with copper scrubbers. Nixon Stone type design. Sight glass section inserted prior to condenser.

Re: Hi....bitten by the Whiskey bug

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Welcome theile, for the copper mesh, try the 5 star store button up the top, send them an email or give them a call.
Where abouts are you roughly located?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Welcome buddy. Roll out a barrel at Clontarf are great for new barrels :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby woodduck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi and welcome.
Firstly forget about the barrel for a while, keep that for when your making the stuff you really love don't waste it on trial and error while learning. They are expensive and need upkeep once you start. I personally wouldn't use chips either, look up "dominoes" on the serch button next to the recipies button up top there will be a wealth of info on them. What still are you building? Sounds like a boka, if so they are a good starter rig that can do both neutral and brown spirits if set up right. You will need to do some research on that aswel. What I'm trying to get at is that it is a very exiting hobby to get into but don't rush into anything, spend some time looking through the threads on here so you learn what you need to do rather than look for info on what went wrong after. One thing I learnt early on is that good booze takes time, this hobby can't be rushed like they tell you in home brew shops and youtube. Take a deep breath and do some reading, I would suggest starting in the beginners section it has all the good stuff like how not to kill yourself, how to brew, how to do a run, cuts and heaps more.

Good luck mate and enjoy your new hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 am

Welcome to AD Thiele.

That is some very good advice from woodduck. You will be able to make excellent whiskey with dominoes in a demijohn.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre