G'day and some questions

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day and some questions

Postby Grovebrewery » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:11 pm

So Bluc please tell me if i have this right. i put my wash in the boiler and strip all the alcohol out of it until the abv coming out is down around 25%. then i collect several washes that i have striped and water them down to 40% abv and then run them through like i normally would doing cuts and heart and feints? i really want to try this whiskey recipe of Macstills ;)... i have only been doing turbo yeast mixes. keen to learn how to run other stuff and looking into buying a 4 plate bubble still from 5star distilling when i can afford it. TY for feed back. i usually learn most things through watching/doing. sorry to ask questions but i like to make sure im on the right track ;).
Grovebrewery

equipment: pot still reflux still.

Re: G'day and some questions

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:20 am

Seeming you have ignored two requests to make a post here I will move this here to stop cluttering up the Macwhisky thread.

So welcome here Grovebrewery :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 am

You really need to do more reading. You wont have any feints because you dont get them till after spirit runs.. but yes strip multiple lots until you have a boiler full make sure its not above 40% then do your cuts, collect in 250-300ml lots let the jars air for 24-48hrs then taste and smell each jar from middle out. In each direction..pick the good ones and put the bad one in a feints jar.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby baznkez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi ,
You guys with pot stills etc what temp do use run the element at ?? i have read a few different opinions on temps from various groups..

Thanks Bazz
baznkez

equipment: turbo 500 & alembic pot with controller

Postby woodduck » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Temps are fairly irrelevant when it comes to pot stills. You are better off running to a take off speed and alc % readings. If your talking about a thermostat controlled element it won't work as it will go on and off the boil and mess up the distillation process.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Grovebrewery » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Sam. wrote:Seeming you have ignored two requests to make a post here I will move this here to stop cluttering up the Macwhisky thread.

So welcome here Grovebrewery :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks, So i don't ask questions on threads? just here? i have never used forums before as i usually learn by watching/doing. that's why i ask a lot of questions. sorry to be an annoyance.
Grovebrewery

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Ask in threads but ask relevant questions in threads. Asking a "how to run a still" question in a receipe thread is not relevant or "off topic" beginers questions area http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewforum.php?f=17 is a better place for getting help..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Grovebrewery » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 am

Guys just seen in a post someone say refluxed their still for 1hour. please explain what this means? i have only ever run my still got it to temperature and set condenser so its hot at the top and skin temp at the bottom so it starts condensing the alcohol.
Grovebrewery

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:41 am

Hi mate,

that means setting the reflux condenser so that ALL the vapour is converted back to liquid and falls back down the column where it reboils and rises again as vapour and is subsequently re-condensed when it reaches the top. Doing this for a period of time will "stack the plates" where your lighter alcohol fractions will remain at the top and the heavier ones at the bottom. Once that occurs you can open up the reflux condenser a little to allow the vapour out at an appropriate rate to keep the fractions separate.

There are some excellent posts on running reflux stills in the newbies section.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre