Hi all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi all

Postby Pottsy1985 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 pm

G'day everyone,

I'm 32, live in Canberra. I'm a noob to this hobby, I haven't even made a wash yet! Decided to read these forums for a couple of days before I started. I picked up a T500 before reading these forums :violence-smack: . I see a lot of people don't like them and others do, so hopefully it will work out well for me.
Fermentation temperature control is the only thing I'm worried about currently. Being winter in Canberra it can get very cold overnight, and I don't think I can hold out until the warmer months as I want to get into it and start learning now!
My plan is to make the first wash with all the turbo "shit" that come with the kit as I don't want to throw it out. Then I will get straight into the TPW :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I also think doing the turbo first and TPW 2nd will show me how much better the quality is in the TPW.
I'm not to fussy when it comes to spirits, I'll drink almost anything. My favourite drops are JD, Turkey and Bundy Rum.

Well that's all from me, thanks for taking the time to read and you should hear from me soon.
Pottsy1985

equipment: T500 Copper reflux head and alembic pot head

Re: Hi all

Postby woodduck » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Welcome Pottsy,

Sounds like your onto it. The T500 will be ok and will help you get your feet wet. Give this thread a read, it will help alot
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10483

As for heating your ferments, there's a few threads on here that can help out, even just wrapping it in a blanket will help. You may find your turbo may not even need it, they run pretty hot.

Good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Welcome buddy enjoy your stay :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Fishleg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Good to see a fellow Canberran, don't think there's many of us on here. Go to butts n brew In kaleen or Casey and you can get one of those heater pads for brewing beer then wrap your fermenter In a blanket and you're good to go.
I've been doing 25l ferments in my shed with no insulation all thru the winter no probs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby Woodsy71 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Well done Pottsy, you've come in from the cold.

Pull up a pew, take a load off, and enjoy the ride, man :cool:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Welcome to AD Pottsy1985.

There's no shame in starting off with a T500 mate, it is capable of making good neutral spirits if run correctly with a decent wash like a TPW. It's just that many people seem to outgrow it's capabilities fairly quickly.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Welcome mate, everyone has to start the hobby with some type of still and I'm guessing you have pot still since your preference is brown spirits that you like. What type of still head do you have on your boiler....
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Pottsy1985 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:25 am

Thanks woodduck, will definitely look into those threads!

Good to hear Fishleg! I've seen the shop at out Kaleen, I'm on southside and hear there is a place out here called 'Brew your own at home' If you have been there, is it any good?

copperhead road wrote:Welcome mate, everyone has to start the hobby with some type of still and I'm guessing you have pot still since your preference is brown spirits that you like. What type of still head do you have on your boiler....

Although a pot still looked best for me, it was easier to convince the wife to let me get a still by mentioning I can make schnapps and irish cream :)) So I got the copper reflux. The pot attachment will definitely be mentioned when I'm asked what I would like for my B'Day next year!
Pottsy1985

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:09 am

Welcome mate.

Irish cream is traditionally made with whiskey, not neutral, so a pot still is what you want for it as well ;-)

You're better off making your own pot, rather than buying the underwhelming still spirits version...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Pottsy1985 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Welcome mate.

Irish cream is traditionally made with whiskey, not neutral, so a pot still is what you want for it as well ;-)

You're better off making your own pot, rather than buying the underwhelming still spirits version...

I haven't got the tools to do it I don't think. Are there any backyard blokes around on this site that give quotes and make them?
Pottsy1985

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:29 am

Someone local might be able to assist you via private messaging, that sort of thing doesn't need to be advertised on the open forum ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Pottsy1985 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Sam. wrote:Someone local might be able to assist you via private messaging, that sort of thing doesn't need to be advertised on the open forum ;-)

Ok thanks
Pottsy1985

Postby Pottsy1985 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:10 pm

So last night I started fermenting the Turbo wash, seems to be bubbling quite a bit today so I'm guessing that is a sign I have done everything right!

After reading about how much better quality the TPW is, I decided I cant wait a week for the fermenter to be free. So I went out today and bought another fermenter and got a TPW started :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The answers to the questions I am about to ask are probably answered in the TPW thread, but it is 50+ pages long :cry:

I think I have read the TPW will take 2-3 weeks to ferment? and it will clear itself, Does this mean all sediment will go to bottom so no need for turbo clear? how long after fermentation do I need to leave it to settle before it is ready for the boiler?

Regards
Pottsy1985

Postby copperhead road » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 pm

They take anywhere between 4 to 10 days to finish can be a bit longer in the winter if you are not using heating pad or belt, just wrap fermenter in a blanket and it should finish no problem.
You can leave it under airlock for a couple of days to clear, you can leave longer if you wish as I have 4 fermenters that have been finished for 3 months. There definitely cleared :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Pottsy1985 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:51 pm

copperhead road wrote:They take anywhere between 4 to 10 days to finish can be a bit longer in the winter if you are not using heating pad or belt, just wrap fermenter in a blanket and it should finish no problem.
You can leave it under airlock for a couple of days to clear, you can leave longer if you wish as I have 4 fermenters that have been finished for 3 months. There definitely cleared :laughing-rolling:

Great thanks! One last question, the gasses released are fine in the house with the kids and all?
Pottsy1985

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:02 pm

It's just carbon dioxide, the same as you are breathing out all day :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby copperhead road » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Oh also pottsy TPW can stay a Fanta colour even when it's cleared :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Pottsy1985 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:27 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:It's just carbon dioxide, the same as you are breathing out all day :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thank you and everyone else for the help ☺️
Pottsy1985

Postby Pottsy1985 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:27 pm

copperhead road wrote:Oh also pottsy TPW can stay a Fanta colour even when it's cleared :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good to know. Thanks for that
Pottsy1985

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Pottsy1985 wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:Welcome mate.

I haven't got the tools to do it I don't think. Are there any backyard blokes around on this site that give quotes and make them?

Underwhelming is an understatement Zak! I gave mine away it was that bad.

If you're not the least bit handy and cannot find someone to solder one together for you, you can assemble a decent 2" modular pot to go on your T500 boiler like this one here. There's an FSD parts list I put together for another member here. The good thing about a modular design is that you re-use most of the parts should you wish to upgrade to a bubbler later on.

The other thing to consider is the SS pot still will really only work on the small SS boiler whereas a 2" pot still in either copper or stainless can be used on a 50 litre keg boiler or milk can boiler if you decide to upgrade to a better system later.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Next

Return to Welcome Centre