Help for a noob?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Help for a noob?

Postby cjnicho » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm no stranger to brewing, but spirits is completely new to me - specifically distillation and flavors etc.
A friend recently gave me their still. Other than being able to assume that it's a reflux still (I can see the column is packed with steel wool).
Would anyone by chance be able to identify the still or shed some light on what the attachments and order of is likely to be? I need to get tube to be able to plumb up the thing, I'm just not sure where it would all go.
Do I need to check the wool in the column or would it be good to go?
Here's a link to the still: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-03_VxFFOy_Z0g0VlhZU2NQRUE
I've only got the still(I have brewing equipment to make a wash), but I'm not sure if I'll need to get anything else like a filter for example. Any advice?
Any help appreciated, cheers.
cjnicho

equipment: HERMS for MASH

Re: Help for a noob?

Postby Sparrow » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Gday mate,

For a reflux you don't have to worry too much about flavours as they're more for making neutrals i.e. vodka. You can then add cordials to
Them for flavour.

What you can do is eventually get a pot still or like many a bubbler for making naturally flavoured spirits.

I can't see your pic so I can't tell you what you need unfortunately.
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Welcome mate, I've moved your post to the welcome centre as it's your first.
I'd be ripping the packing(wool) out and seeing what type of condenser is up the guts of the column.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Yurugaboy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi,
Take out the mesh and check the condenser type. You can always re use it or replace it with clean scrubbers. What are you going to try first?
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 am

Pull it apart and take a pic of the condenser in the top, that will help us know what you have and what you can do with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby orcy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:17 pm

At least it has a nice long leibig. Most are significantly undersized if you wanna use it as a pot to strip.

There are lots of similar styled stainless still around. They all work ok for simple reflux work. Personally id just make a tpw or wbab was and run it to see how it goes.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby cjnicho » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll make next. I'd love to make a gin, but I haven't gone so far as to looking how to do that yet, as I need to figure how this thing works :-)

I'll unpack the column in a few days and post photos.

Cheers!
cjnicho

equipment: HERMS for MASH

Return to Welcome Centre