Hi All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi All

Postby Bandypenguin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 am

Hi All,

I have made home brew, but not for many years, so when I made the decision to get started again, I thought I would give distilling a crack. I mainly drink whiskey, and the missus drinks Gin.

I've been reading through the forum for the last couple of days, and there's is some great info here, so I'm glad that it seems I've stumbled into the right place.

I was thinking of starting with a T500 system , but after reading here I may rethink that choice. The 4" modular setup for FSD, looks nice...Ive been talking to my local brew shop (I'm perth based)...they are pushing the T500. I plan on a bit more reading and research before I part with any cash....any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Anyway...I'm looking forward to getting started, and sharing the journey...oh yea, and making a nice drop or two...

Cheers ..Bandy..
Bandypenguin

equipment: Looking at getting started..haven't decided what system yet...

Re: Hi All

Postby j0sh2008 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:13 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

Bandypenguin wrote:I was thinking of starting with a T500 system , but after reading here I may rethink that choice. The 4" modular setup for FSD, looks nice...Ive been talking to my local brew shop (I'm perth based)...they are pushing the T500. I plan on a bit more reading and research before I part with any cash....any advice would be greatly appreciated..

The 4" Modular 5SD would be a much better choice then then T500. You could always upgrade it to a bubbler. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

When i first started i looked at the T500 but then found this forum so I built a 2" pot still and then found that was to small so i started reading a fell down the worm hole and started building a 4" bubbler.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby Bobsyauncle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 am

Gday bud,

The T500 is fine, only problem I've found is it takes 7hrs sitting in front of the still or so to get roughly 3L @ 40%. For me that's too long.
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby woodduck » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:54 am

Hi mate :greetings-waveyellow: welcome.

There's nothing wrong with the t500, people seem to get on alright with it it’s just that they seem to out grow it after a while. I don't think it will do gins and it can't do whiskey without cordials added so if you want to spend the time and learn the craft go for a modular pot still that you can upgrade as you like and eventually you will have a bubbler that can do everything and is much faster to run.

Keep up the reading and it will all become clear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sparrow » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:44 am

Welcome mate,

There's plenty of brands and models around and most things only stay around if they can do their job.

From what you like drinking I do suggest a pot still or maybe a bubbler down the track. Shop around and find what's best for you.

I originally was after an fsd but I never heard back from them (think they are dealing with some personal stuff) so I ended up getting something else entirely and it works for me. There's no right or wrong mate just do the research and don't rush into anything is my advice.
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:16 pm

G-day to a fellow westy,to make proper all grain whiskey you will need more equipment and experience than most beginners have so the t500 and essence is how most dip their feet first ,its a comprimise in my opinion but a good way to get some experience and gives ya time to make the decision wether you want to invest more money and effort to go all grain and modula system wich can add up to some seriouse coin,personally I started that way but found I was not happy with the time it took and some essence is not a very good copy of the rigi didg stuff so I went to the 4inch modula set up on an 80lt boiler,wich keeps me and the clan very happy now.A second hand unit may be a better choice as well ,the other issue I had was the carbon filtering for very good neutral spirit,it adds time and effort and cost,something I donot need ta do with the 4inch set up running 6plates and a 600mm packed section try reading viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1837 from the library section wich has a shit load of good reading to help ya make a solid choice.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Welcome Centre