Was gonna airstill it, but did my homework.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Was gonna airstill it, but did my homework.

Postby JULIAGILLARD » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks Guys,

After rent and internet I have to live off just over $100 a week, so you can understand why I'm brewing in $4 ldpe buckets. Hopefully I'll be able to cash in some super due to financial hardship, which of course I'd T500 it without hesitation. But that's not guaranteed of course and will take weeks. So I came up with this totally ghetto idea.
JULIAGILLARD

equipment: None as yet

Postby Huntsman96 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Sorry for jumping to conclusions then mate. Seen that photo of the pot still on HD so many times I thought it was a bit suss. Anyway if you are gonna go the stockpot route I would say make sure you get one woth a stainless lid. Also you cannot use rubber in a still as results have shown leaching with rubber seals. Ptfe is the go but it will be a pain to make a seal with it. On top of that connecting the coil to the still is a bit painful without soldering tools.
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby JULIAGILLARD » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks guys,

After rent and internet I have to live off about a $100 a week, a CUB keg pot setup pot is not within reach financially at the moment. I'm hoping to cash some super but thanks gonna take weeks, id t500 it then without thinking twice. So I came up with this half cocked stockpot vision.
JULIAGILLARD

equipment: None as yet

Postby Professor Green » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:11 pm

I know you're probably very keen to get started but I would wait, try and save a few pennies, and get something decent rather than cobble up something on the cheap. Safety is a big concern with this pastime as it can go disastrously (and potential fatally) wrong very easily and we would not like to hear that you burnt your house down with a poorly constructed still.

As I mentioned earlier, it may also be well worth your while to keep an eye on the for sale section here as there a quite often cracking bargains to be had.

If you fill out your general location in your profile, you might be able to find someone to offer you localised help too.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Should have been clearer i actually meant a t500/turbo boiler, about $180 instead of cobbling a stock pot. They are made to do what we want and as long as you treat it with a bit of respect it will get the job done. You can get an adapter from mac to attach a still for about $30.

Then a diy 2" pot still if your into rum whiskey, should be able to knock one up for about $100 or if you want neutral vodka check out a boka.

Dont bother with the little china stills they are so slow i only did one 25l brew on the one I was given before upgrading to a 2" pot still. It really will be a waste of money.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby P1ratepat » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Professor Green wrote:I know you're probably very keen to get started but I would wait, try and save a few pennies, and get something decent rather than cobble up something on the cheap. Safety is a big concern with this pastime as it can go disastrously (and potential fatally) wrong very easily and we would not like to hear that you burnt your house down with a poorly constructed still.

As I mentioned earlier, it may also be well worth your while to keep an eye on the for sale section here as there a quite often cracking bargains to be had.

If you fill out your general location in your profile, you might be able to find someone to offer you localised help too.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
:text-+1:

Unfortunately when I first got interested in this hobby I had just lost my job to some total bullshit, but that's another story, I was receiving no income at all. Once I sorted out centrelink on a humbling $460 a fortnight I went to the local H.B.S had a chat with the guy, asked about the different still options they had and if they would do lay-buy. He said I could lay-buy for the at least 12 months if I needed as long as I made regular payments. For the first few months it was hell and felt like I was never going to get the still out of lay-buy. I was lucky enough to have a small fishing boat that I was not going to be able to afford to run anytime soon and it hadn't seen water for about 16 months prior. So I sold that for what was remaining on the still and got it out in less time than anticipated. However moral of the story here is that it is possible to get what you're after.

Then I picked up an alembic pot still head that came for sale on facebook for $50 so now I can start to experiment with brown spirits for not a lot of investment.

What im really trying to say is be patient and explore every option you have thoroughly before making a decision.
P1ratepat

equipment: T500 reflux

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre