Howdy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy

Postby musclewarrior » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd say 'hi'

I'm currently looking into the distilling process. This forum seems to have a lot of great information to the hobby and although I don't have any equipment at the moment I am looking to see if its a hobby worth pursuing.
I do like the fact that unlike beer you can enjoy the fruits of your labor when you want rather than being forced to consume it within a few weeks. (Otherwise its wasted)
musclewarrior

equipment: None - Newbie

Re: Howdy

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Hey there!

Welcome. I am pretty new to the forum and for what it's worth, I am loving the process of building my still. The guys on here are super helpful and very knowledgable on all aspects of the hobby.

Just wondering, why do you have to drink your beer within a few weeks. Usually bottled home brewed beer won't hit it's prime til 3 months in my opinion, and I have stuff that is still good up to 12 months. Mind you, I only found that out when I started kegging, finding that I forgot about my bottles being so impressed with having beer on tap :))

Anyway, enjoy your visits and read as much as you can. Oh, and use the search our site button next to the recipes button not the search up the top right hand corner. (I learnt that the hard way!) :angry-banghead:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Kenster » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Muscle, welcome... as TPP mentioned, a wealth of info exists on this site. You choice of drink, vodka or 'other' will guide your still needs. Read, read, dont be too hasty with your need to get started as we all have some regrets as to the impatience of our early days. If you are handy, a build may be a good option... the is a lot coming your way....
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Welcome musclewarrior.

There's heaps of information here mate. What kind of spirits are you looking to make? As Kenster mentioned, this will determine what kind of still you need.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby andybear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Welcome muscles, I feel newbies should also get a warning, that if you follow the advice of this site your old favourite drops may start to taste like petrol and you'll be trapped having to always drink the stuff that you've made.
Cheers and enjoy.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Lowie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Welcome to the forum fella. I'm with TPP. - your grog should be getting better with age. I've got bottles over a year old and they taste great. Mind you, I'm an all grain brewer, I don't brew in a can.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby woodduck » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Howdy mate, welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

:text-+1: on what everyone else has said, take your time, work out what you want to make and the rest will take care of itself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby musclewarrior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:49 am

TPP: I thought home brewed beer only lasted at best 3 months due to having no preservatives? Like you say, maybe all grain brewing is different :?

Currently looking at starting with a Neutral (Reflux Still) to get a hold on the whole process, and then move to whiskey from there (Pot/bubble Still). I do like the look of the modular stills for this reason and this seems to look like a good learning path.
musclewarrior

equipment: None - Newbie

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 pm

musclewarrior wrote:TPP: I thought home brewed beer only lasted at best 3 months due to having no preservatives? Like you say, maybe all grain brewing is different :?

Currently looking at starting with a Neutral (Reflux Still) to get a hold on the whole process, and then move to whiskey from there (Pot/bubble Still). I do like the look of the modular stills for this reason and this seems to look like a good learning path.

Nah mate,

I have left tinned stuff for ages too. The longer it sits the finer the bubbles and better the mouthfeel.. The whole flavour mellows and settles down too. But that's no reason not to give this a crack too! ;-)
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Lowie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 pm

If you're worried about your grog having no preservatives keep it in the fridge.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby orcy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 pm

Hops are a preservative. Bottle conditioned homebrew should keep forever as long as ita kept at a reasonable cellar temperature.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Return to Welcome Centre